My saving grace...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpsooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to pirate the thread, but has anyone doing keto had issues with muscle cramps at night?

I had some issues with it last time. Tried to make sure I was hydrated. Upped salt intake. Took some potassium and magnesium supplements but never really could tell it helped. I'm thinking it may have been the potassium level, and it's pretty hard to supplement enough to matter. Never had it checked, which I'll do if I have the same issues on my next go round.

Haven't had the issue since I quit keto last time so I'm pretty sure I was deficient in something on it.

Just curious if anyone else experienced this.
Yes. I have been having the leg cramps at night. My wife has me taking magnesium tablets. They work great.

bpsooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh before I forget, many foods including tators get more carbs the more they are processed. A baked potato has fewer carbs than mashed believe it or not. Only a few but every little bit helps. Steel cut oats instead of quick oats or instant. You get the idea.
It can get very complicated. I got an app on the phone to help track everything

bpsooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, this has been my routine too. I lose weight easy enough on keto, get tired of it and then pack it back on. I'm going to try to drop it and then ease back into sensible carb levels and see if I can hold the line.
I got off the keto and went directly to a low fat diet since keto was all fats. Low fat and low carb. Will keep the weight from coming back

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It can get very complicated. I got an app on the phone to help track everything

It can get complicated and I use a flip phone so no app, but I am doing good enough on my diet that my eyes are actually getting better. I have been told that is rare for a diabetic. I still battle the weight as it comes off then goes back on because some of my meds cause weight gain. I will keep trying though until I hit my old fighting weight of 220. I may neve5r have that muscle and tone again but it was the weight I was most comfortable at.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stop all these fad diets.
Get off the couch, walk vigorously taking stairs vs elevators and watch calories.
A calorie burned is weight lost.
If mobility is an issue, static exercise is key.
My youngest son is an incomplete quadriplegic in a wheel chair. He uses hand weights, and a remote controlled leg exerciser like a bicycle to burn calories and improve blood circulation while watching his calorie intake.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had some bad cramps in my left leg a few nights ago. I try to stay hydrated (gallon of water each day/limit my caffeine intake) but I also take a diuretic and potassium supplement every day for my swollen legs and feet.

I gotta do something, I'm a mess. 6'2" and 480 pounds. I'm dying. It's time.

You got this ... I just got an ass chewing from the doctor today. Apparently I'm losing too much too fast. Ain't no pleasing some people ... Lol

I hope keto works for you. Keep an eye on your blood work and drink water -- not soda (yes I know lol).

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stop all these fad diets.
Get off the couch, walk vigorously taking stairs vs elevators and watch calories.
A calorie burned is weight lost.
If mobility is an issue, static exercise is key.
My youngest son is an incomplete quadriplegic in a wheel chair. He uses hand weights, and a remote controlled leg exerciser like a bicycle to burn calories and improve blood circulation while watching his calorie intake.

Preach on!

Leave the junk food behind, add up calories. add up calories burned. The difference is what you lose or gain, period.

Meds make you burn calories at a different rate, so diet needs adjustment for that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom