My Shop Remodel/Upgrade...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
High shelves, ladder accessible for stuff you never use and can’t part with

Plywood on top of the 2x12 benches
Smoother and replacible when shot
Nothing expensive or heavy just smooth and sacrificial

Also give the bench tops a generous front lip so you can clamp to them

Toe kicks trimmed to the floor on the work benches to keep a critical component from rolling under the bench and evaporating

Extra lights over the work benches

If you don’t have a 220 v plug add one near the door

Tie you biggest bench to the wall and put a stout vise on the corner

A barn door track on the bottom of the truss with a light hoist that runs in the track for lifting 300 lb class stuff onto the bench or out of the pickup bed. It will save your back.
i built a counter top for my wife’s BBQ hut out of 2x4’s. I trimmed the sides on table saw to have straight edges and then biscuit joined, glued and clamped together. When finished it wa flat with no rounded edges on 2x4s To catch grit.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought some second hand commercial shelving to put "stuff" on. Make sure you anchor it to the purlons along the wall, as it can tip over and be dangerous if not secured. It's 12' high with 4 shelves that can hold anything put on it.
Your shop looks just like mine although I added wainscoating along the bottom 4' below the lowest purlon so putting objects against the wall didn't puncture the insulation seal.
Put some air conditioning in there. Even insulated, the summer heat is unbearable with the additional humidity. Mini Split or a simple window unit I did by adding an opening, cutting through the wall and using purlons as a frame.
Heavy vice on a sturdy table is a must, preferably anchored to the wall and floor for heavy use. Used mine today to form a circle on some flat plate with a torch so it will hook on the top rung of a vertical ladder going into a deer blind, making it into a 45 degree walk up with a hand rail. Not getting any younger and that vertical ladder sucks for spacing and ease of getting into the blind with a backpack and rifle.
Add a TV, bigger the better on a swiveling base so it can be turned. Have a 60 some inch in ours, with a good sound bar so you can watch YouTube to complete projects. (and watch hunting/fishing stuff while the wife is watching BS stuff in the house.)
Nice stereo for music or talk radio with speakers big enough to hear all over the shop.
Definitely a fridge for soft drinks, water and the adult beverage.
One more thing that I think is really important is to find an over the air TV antenna that works if you're only relying on Dish or Direct for your TV service.
Out here in the woods, we lose Sat TV when it rains heavily, which is when tornado's are possible.
Sometimes internet access is lost.
I keep antenna TV in the shop so as a last resort can monitor the weather with that method.
Eastern Ok doesn't have the issues we have in the North and Northwest, but they do happen.
Just a suggestion.
Probably the most important if you haven't wired it yet for electric is to put in 4X the number of outlets you think you will need and then add 2X that. Make sure it's 12 ga wire and buy 20 amp breakers/receptacals. You will thank me later.
Add at least two if not more large ceiling fans. During the winter when heating, you will need them to take the heat off the ceiling and distribute it evenly throughout the building in the reverse mode.
Summers to distribute the cool air in normal mode.
All done in my shop. Now my wish list of things to do.
I need outside electrical outlets to run 120V and 230V like a welder or 120 for battery chargers, lighting, or whatever.
Gutters to keep the rain water away from the entrance door and garage door.
Wish we would have put a shade cover in front of the building that faces SW to keep the evening sun off the building and provide a sitting area for the stereo to sit outside and relax.
I have a reloading area, a fly tying area, storage area, welding area with a lathe and open area to store the boat/atv's.

Awesome info Dennis. Thank you. I do need to find a good large AC unit. I have two 220V outlets for them in the garage and probably 14 or so standard 110V. Run in conduit about 4' off the concrete. Have a lot is very helpful. FIL is giving me his wood burning Camp stove he used in a 17x14 Montana Canvas tent that was really almost too big for the tent so it should be enough to keep the chill out in the winter. BTW, would love some pics of the ladder your building for the stand. Super interested as I'm sorta getting to the point that climbing a vert ladder with a backpack is "fun".

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome info Dennis. Thank you. I do need to find a good large AC unit. I have two 220V outlets for them in the garage and probably 14 or so standard 110V. Run in conduit about 4' off the concrete. Have a lot is very helpful. FIL is giving me his wood burning Camp stove he used in a 17x14 Montana Canvas tent that was really almost too big for the tent so it should be enough to keep the chill out in the winter. BTW, would love some pics of the ladder your building for the stand. Super interested as I'm sorta getting to the point that climbing a vert ladder with a backpack is "fun".
Started on the ladder yesterday. It's an old 10' section of scaffold ladder that got bent into a small bow, so it was determined to be "unsafe". That style ladder is obsolete now.
Perfect for my use. In the pic, it’s upside down from the final location. The bow will be on top.
I’ll weld a hand rail from some old oilfield sucker rod and maybe weld some flat metal on the rungs to make steps.
Middle support with TPosts and hooks welded on to the scaffold at the top to hang from the original ladder steps.
@retrieverman may recognize the blind.
I'm always saying that there are no close shots in my area. It's wide open.
IMG_1493.jpeg

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the progress so far. It is much slower going than I thought it would be but making headway. I'm off work everyday this week with the exception of Wednesday so have time to get a lot of if done. Won't complete it. Will sheath the harder to do areas around the water heater and electrical panel down the line.

I think I got 7 sheets up today. Having to figure out and cut out two window in the plywood along with welding in C-purlins for every sheet is time consuming. THe welding is a challenge. For one, still consider myself a novice welder but still do pretty good. The 14ga red iron is a challenge and with it being primed doesn't help. Took a bit to get the right power setting and wire feed speed so it didn't either burn holes or pop and crackle. Should be able to get about 75% done before i go back to work next week. Long process but should turn out nice and more usable space.

Pic 5.jpg
Pic 7.jpg
Pic 6.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom