My son is finishing MNTC welding program, who's hiring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son is about to finish the welding program at Moore Norman Technology Center, he takes his exams and earns his certifications this week or next. I've been on him to apply for jobs but he doesn't want to apply until he has his certs. I'm not sure.
I know just about every company is having a hard time finding and keeping people, help wanted signs all over the state. How is the welding community?

Will a company hire a 19 y/o as a welder without welding certs? What company would be good for him to look into? What company should he avoid?
He just wants stable employment and to stay local. He has no desire to travel or relocate from Moore/Norman/OKC area.

Thank you in advance.

Sted-E Ed-E

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t have any advice, but from what I’ve been seeing, right now is a great time to get hired for pretty much any field. The fact that he wants to work and not just sit on his a$$ pretty much guarantees he’ll get hired!

Congratulations and good luck to your son!

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No desire to relocate or travel could be career limiting.
Baker Hughes in Claremore is hiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, understood. It's crazy to me because when I was a teenager I ran out the door to see the world and joined the Navy.
I guess dragging him from Japan to Maryland to Virginia to Maryland to Oklahoma just made him want to call one place home.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can very nearly guarantee you that any company that has an active need and is willing to hire a CareerTech graduate has already visited his classroom, made presentations to the class, and spoken to the instructor about the most promising students. Some pointed questions to your son might be enlightening.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can very nearly guarantee you that any company that has an active need and is willing to hire a CareerTech graduate has already visited his classroom, made presentations to the class, and spoken to the instructor about the most promising students. Some pointed questions to your son might be enlightening.
Rough words but probably true.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was a welder for a good many years and while single it was good times.. Sanitary pipe for Florida's juice, I found myself bebopping around the state and did a fair bit of travel to S TX, Washington state, it was memories made.. I'll ask tomorrow and see if I can be of help..

Latest posts

Top Bottom