My son is finishing MNTC welding program, who's hiring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What I'm seeing here is that you don't like unions. I don't either for the record. They served their purpose back in the day, but no longer IMHO.
I have worked in the Ponca City Refinery and OG&E at the Sooner Power Plant between Stillwater and Ponca City.
The refinery is union, while OG&E is not. What I saw personally is that both places paid top wages($30+ per hour) and welders were pretty much coddled because of requirement of the job. Middle of winter or summers, welders got wind shelters so the arc remained stable for X Ray welds while pipefitters and all other crafts had to deal with the elements.
Another observation I've made over the years of working in manufacturing environments that required welders is that there are two types.
1st type wants to find a stable job in one location and is willing to take less money in some cases, not all. OG&E and Refineries pay top dollar.
Second type is the gypsy welder that works a pipeline, sometimes with the wife as a fitter for 6 months out of the year when the weather is good and then temp into a factory during the winter, or like some others draw unemployment for a few months until it runs out while living in a tiny camping trailer waiting on the next pipeline.
Nothing different than any segment of society, but If one gets certified for instance in a Nuclear power plant or shipyard to weld, the paycheck raises exponentially.
I agree, unions are past their expiration date. if my son goes into a union job I'll shake my head but it might be a good learning experience for him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom