My son is finishing MNTC welding program, who's hiring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Refineries would be equally sucky to work in as a welder.

plants, refineries. Etc.
I don't know if you ever worked in a refinery as a refinery welder or contractor welder but, in the Ponca refinery the welders have it made. I spent 40 years there and worked in different crafts including the welders. I've welded from here to Va. and I don't know of very many welding jobs that are better.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that the same Kellogg Brown and Root that once was a part of Halliburton?
I worked for Brown and Root at Sooner Lake building the power plant back in 1978. Unless they have changed their policies , they suck. They wanted to fire me for going to the ER one night after being treated on site by their medical people. I told them "Go ahead, I'll see you in court." They found a reason to say it was ok then.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I don't know if you ever worked in a refinery as a refinery welder or contractor welder but, in the Ponca refinery the welders have it made. I spent 40 years there and worked in different crafts including the welders. I've welded from here to Va. and I don't know of very many welding jobs that are better.

I never worked in a refinery like Phillips 66. It might be a cakewalk.

I was never union though so that’s probably the difference.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Refineries would be equally sucky to work in as a welder.

plants, refineries. Etc.
I never worked in a refinery like Phillips 66. It might be a cakewalk.

I was never union though so that’s probably the difference.
What I'm seeing here is that you don't like unions. I don't either for the record. They served their purpose back in the day, but no longer IMHO.
I have worked in the Ponca City Refinery and OG&E at the Sooner Power Plant between Stillwater and Ponca City.
The refinery is union, while OG&E is not. What I saw personally is that both places paid top wages($30+ per hour) and welders were pretty much coddled because of requirement of the job. Middle of winter or summers, welders got wind shelters so the arc remained stable for X Ray welds while pipefitters and all other crafts had to deal with the elements.
Another observation I've made over the years of working in manufacturing environments that required welders is that there are two types.
1st type wants to find a stable job in one location and is willing to take less money in some cases, not all. OG&E and Refineries pay top dollar.
Second type is the gypsy welder that works a pipeline, sometimes with the wife as a fitter for 6 months out of the year when the weather is good and then temp into a factory during the winter, or like some others draw unemployment for a few months until it runs out while living in a tiny camping trailer waiting on the next pipeline.
Nothing different than any segment of society, but If one gets certified for instance in a Nuclear power plant or shipyard to weld, the paycheck raises exponentially.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
What I'm seeing here is that you don't like unions. I don't either for the record. They served their purpose back in the day, but no longer IMHO.
I have worked in the Ponca City Refinery and OG&E at the Sooner Power Plant between Stillwater and Ponca City.
The refinery is union, while OG&E is not. What I saw personally is that both places paid top wages($30+ per hour) and welders were pretty much coddled because of requirement of the job. Middle of winter or summers, welders got wind shelters so the arc remained stable for X Ray welds while pipefitters and all other crafts had to deal with the elements.
Another observation I've made over the years of working in manufacturing environments that required welders is that there are two types.
1st type wants to find a stable job in one location and is willing to take less money in some cases, not all. OG&E and Refineries pay top dollar.
Second type is the gypsy welder that works a pipeline, sometimes with the wife as a fitter for 6 months out of the year when the weather is good and then temp into a factory during the winter, or like some others draw unemployment for a few months until it runs out while living in a tiny camping trailer waiting on the next pipeline.
Nothing different than any segment of society, but If one gets certified for instance in a Nuclear power plant or shipyard to weld, the paycheck raises exponentially.

i worked along side some Union guys on a shutdown one time. They weren’t getting enough done in time so they called another crew in. We were told to be quiet about being non union because if those guys heard about it they would drag up and leave.

so yeah, I’m not fond of Union.

Latest posts

Top Bottom