My son is finishing MNTC welding program, who's hiring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been a welder for 25 years now and went to Moore Norman Vo-Tech, those certs and things are only good for getting your foot in the door maybe, most places make you test anyway before they hire you. My whole family worked in the oil field and I've known several pipeliners and I myself was a helper member in the 798. That kind of work is making big money one day and then starving the next. My grandpa used to tell me I've never seen a rich welder yet and I think he was right! It's a steady living if your in the right place. I worked in the oilfield and in plants the first few years I was out of school. I've been an aircraft welder now for 22 years and it's hard to beat, I tig weld and work in a nice clean shop with a/c and heat. I've got a welding rig I use for weekend side jobs sometimes, but I would hate to be out in the weather doing it everyday now! I wouldn't trade my job for any of those rig welder pipeline jobs. I'm home every night and make good money with security, it's been 40 hrs a week for 22 years now, and in 12 more I will retire at 54.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can very nearly guarantee you that any company that has an active need and is willing to hire a CareerTech graduate has already visited his classroom, made presentations to the class, and spoken to the instructor about the most promising students. Some pointed questions to your son might be enlightening.

That was my son's experience. He went through the local Tech CAD program and had job offers before he finished the class work and cert tests. I will say that it has a lot to do with the instructor. He encouraged participation in SkillsUSA and actively brought firms into contact with the students early and often.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had my first experience working with union construction folks a couple weeks ago in Indiana. I’m not a fan.:censored:

I went to the belly of the beast for my exposure to union construction: New York City in Manhattan with union ironworkers. Most certainly a very different world for a then-30-something from OK. Plus it was before Rudy Giuliani cleaned up NYC so that added to the "experience".

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, he doesn't have a DOL card. I'd kinda like to see him start with a company that trains and guides employees to certifications and licenses. Something stable and secure.

He's almost out the door and I just want to help guide him that last bit if I can.
No matter what, in two weeks he's out of my house and I'm changing the locks so he's going to sink or swim.
I would also like to let you know that my company Oklahoma Natural Gas hires all the time for various jobs. If he can get his foot in the door with a welding certificate he will be able to move up and become a welder and they make big money. And we have great benefits. I would definitely tell him to check our site to see what kind of openings we have. I hope he finds something that makes him happy. That is most important.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It sure is. At one time Brown & Root had more welders working for them than anyone else.
Traveling job, but if they get on a project like a new power plant, that job can last for years at one location. When I worked at Sooner Power Plant for OG&E, a whole bunch of the Brown & Root employees transitioned over to OG&E employees and retired from that plant.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would also like to let you know that my company Oklahoma Natural Gas hires all the time for various jobs. If he can get his foot in the door with a welding certificate he will be able to move up and become a welder and they make big money. And we have great benefits. I would definitely tell him to check our site to see what kind of openings we have. I hope he finds something that makes him happy. That is most important.
Good info, thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom