My son leaves for Basic Training tomorrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats and best wishes to your son. He’s got a challenging experience ahead of him.

We saw our daughter off to USAF boot camp back in July. She kicked it in the ass and is now a few weeks away from graduating from the DoD firefighter academy at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo TX.
Congratulations to you and her!

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be a Park Ranger nowadays he will need a degree in forestry or something like that.
He's working on that already actually, he started college classes his freshman year of highschool and graduated a year early so he's part way there & will finish school ( college classes ) while serving

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be a Park Ranger nowadays he will need a degree in forestry or something like that.

I actually looked into that path prior to retiring from the military.

They have different types of Rangers. Traditional Park Rangers and Law Enforcement are the big two. The law enforcement track doesn’t require natural science related education.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually looked into that path prior to retiring from the military.

They have different types of Rangers. Traditional Park Rangers and Law Enforcement are the big two. The law enforcement track doesn’t require natural science related education.
I will let him know that, I'm not sure which version of a park ranger he wants to be

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the USAF, the best combat job for enlisted is without a doubt TACP.
My son is a JTAC and he'd wholeheartedly agree with you on that. 7 combat deployments between Iraq and Afghanistan. He's a MSgt now and is the senior enlisted guy at a unit in Alaska. He travels all over the country and trains/certifies (not sure of the correct term) other TACP members. He says it's the best of both worlds...living and working with the Army under Air Force rules!

I was in the 302nd Security Forces Sqdrn at Peterson AFB in the 90s when I went back in as a reservist. I enjoyed it.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck to your son with his training! My oldest is in MCRDSD/Pendleton right now, he only has a few weeks left until graduation, then stays at Pendleton for more training. He joined the Marine reserves out of Little Rock. When he first made the Corps announcement, I thought he was going fulltime and tried to tell him to join the Air Force! No offense to any of the Marines here, but after 13 years on the Army side of things (LA NG), I figured out one thing: the AF lives better than the rest of us EVERYWHERE in the world! Once he said he was part timing, it went better LOL. I also tried to talk mine into a job other than infantry for the benefits later in life due to job skills, etc, but he wouldn't listen either...these kids get all the HOOAH in their eyes and think its cool...oh well

Latest posts

Top Bottom