My Very First AR-15!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, after months and months of research and reading, I decided to pull the trigger and finally get an AR-15. But, since I am one of those people who like to personalize and customize every single firearm he buys, the obvious choice was to not buy an AR, but to build one. I also knew that this was going to be something that I would probably fall in love with doing, so I went all out and bought the stuff I would need for many future builds:

1. 80% Arms Easy Jig
2. Ridgid 5.5 Amp Compact Router (Home Depot)
3. 6" Cross Slide Vise (X-Y Vise)
4. 10" Drill Press
5. Titanium-Nitride coated drill bit set
6. Wheeler Professional Armorer's Toolkit

So, I converted my spare bedroom into my "armory" where I put all of this stuff, and it gives me a warm place to fiddle around with my guns...because God knows I am not about to do this stuff out in my shed in the middle of an Oklahoma winter. Also, I just got a divorce a couple weeks ago, so half of the stuff in my house is gone, and it only seemed right to bring ALL of my tools from the shed into the house LOL

Anyway, I'll get right into it. I chose to go with a polymer 80% lower, because I figured if I'm going to learn how to complete 80% lowers, learning on a polymer 80% lower would be much easier than trying to learn on an aluminum forged or billet lower. Plus, the polymer 80% lower was much cheaper, so not a huge loss if I screw it up. Here is the list of parts:

1. 80% Polymer Lower - ($79.24 shipped) I used www.polymer80.com's lower, but I bought it from www.DeltaTeamTactical.com
2. Enhanced Lower Parts Kit - ($89.98 shipped) - I bought this from APOC Armory. The stock and buffer tube assembly was included in this kit. I was really impressed with their customer service. I have already purchased another LPK from them. I like the stock that it came with, and the trigger was pretty good also.
3. JTM Grip - ($10.95) - I'm not a fan of MOE grips. I like this grip. I have it on my M&P 15-22. Got it on eBay.
4. Red Anodized Mag Release ($6.95) - I like red. Also from eBay.
5. Custom Barreled Upper - ($380.00 shipped) - It took me FOREVER to find the right upper cause I'm super picky. I wanted a stainless steel fluted barrel 1:8 twist, 15" MLok hand guard, w/ mid-length gas system. I got everything but the fluted barrel, although the one I got was stainless steel. This purchase was from MasDefense.com, and I have to say, they did a heck of a job getting me what I wanted! The upper receiver was MasDefense's in-house upper. The upper assembly did not come with a BCG or charging handle.
6. Strike Industries charging handle - ($25.46 shipped) - I got a heck of a deal on these from Primary Arms, so I bought 3 of them.
7. Fail Zero EXO Coated BCG - ($99 shipped) - I was just going to go with a Palmetto State Armory BCG, but I saw this Fail Zero for $99 on Black Friday weekend, and picked up two of them. Just couldn't pass that deal up. I also got this from Primary Arms.

Grand Total: $691.58

Overall, I am EXTREMELY pleased with the build, even with the polymer lower. I didn't make any mistakes on the lower even though it was my first 80% lower, which surprised me, because I've never used a router before. I sighted in the rifle yesterday at the range, and it performed flawlessly with very tight groups. I hope to stretch it out to 150 - 200 yards this weekend to see how it does at longer range(s). Pictures of the build are below.

I am currently working on a 300 blackout build that will go on an Anderson stripped lower, and I have a Spike's Tactical Spider color-fill complete lower and a Black Rain Ordnance Billet stripped lower on the way from Primary Arms. Haven't decided what I'm going to do with them yet. I know I want to build an SPR with a 20" SS fluted barrel so I can have a long gun. More to come on those builds.

Comments are appreciated! Thanks guys.

IMG_4116.JPG

IMG_4115.JPG

IMG_4114.JPG

IMG_4117.JPG

IMG_4119.JPG

IMG_4121.JPG

IMG_4123.JPG

IMG_4125.JPG

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Sharp AR! Impressive taking on an 80% for the first lower!

I'm curious to hear your report on the SI charging handle. I looked at those, but not sure they're worth the coin over a $15 mil handle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom