My Very First AR-15!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the strike industries CH. The latch is aluminum like the BCM so they wont wear out your upper. You can buy the latch only for les money and put it on your mil spec CH if you need a little extra to grab onto...not so great if you plan on walking any type of distance with the rifle slung as they tend to always find a way to dig in.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Complete polymers are going for $40 or so now. Of course, if you don't want a serial or 4473, doing your own may be right for you. Also the feeling of accomplishment to complete your own lower. I enjoy building them myself, but if I were going to do an 80% I would not choose a polymer. Just a personal preference.

Congrats, good job!

The main reason I did the 80% is because every time I purchase a firearm, it is SUCH a huge pain in the butt because the background check always gets delayed. I didn't feel like messing with the process, and I also wanted to see if I could do it. Honestly, now that I have finished my 2nd build with an Anderson lower, I prefer the polymer lower. It is much, much lighter. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference, but after I swapped out the polymer lower with the Anderson lower, there was a very noticeable weight difference. The polymer lower has performed flawlessly on 3 trips to the range. I love it!

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the strike industries CH. The latch is aluminum like the BCM so they wont wear out your upper. You can buy the latch only for les money and put it on your mil spec CH if you need a little extra to grab onto...not so great if you plan on walking any type of distance with the rifle slung as they tend to always find a way to dig in.

OH NO! It's too late. I have already completed my 2nd build in 300 Blackout HAHAHA. Pictures below....(300 Blackout is the all black one, and the 223/5.56 is the one with red accents and SS barrel)

I'm already looking at parts to build a 20" barreled SPR. I know a healthy addiction when I see one!

both-guns-1.jpg

AR15-223-1.jpg

AR15-223-2.jpg

300blackout-1.jpg

300blackout-2.jpg

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Those look great. You're certainly on your way.

That 80% poly lower cutout is first rate! You'll be ready to do an aluminum one in no time!

I finished two 0% lowers last year and really enjoyed the process, though having a mill and lathe made the process easier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom