My Youngest Sons Deer Hunt (video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My youngest son shot this 9 point last week at about 100 yards with the Ruger American Ranch 7.62x39 using Hornady SST 123 grain steel case ammo. I don't usually put my wife or kids in my videos on YouTube, so his face is mostly hidden or not shown. I didn't put it all in the video, but we had a hell of a time just before shooting this deer. At first it came out to our right and started to circle around behind us before he could get a shot out of one of the bigger windows. As we got turned around and opened the little window on the door he pulled the trigger and all we heard was **CLICK**. I was thinking "wtf!?". I got the gun and reloaded it for him and as this was happening it seemed like we, or mainly me actually, were making A LOT of noise. That blind is a little tight for me to be trying to move around in! I gave the gun back to him, picked my camera back up and luckily the buck was just staring our direction the entire time trying to figure out what the hell was going on over there! lol. He made the shot and dropped him where he stood. After that whole ordeal, I looked at the bullet and it had a very light strike on the primer, but it also looked to me like the primer may have been set in the bullet a little to deep, if that's possible? Or maybe it was from me loading and unloading that same bullet several times before actually shooting it and that may have pushed the primer in a little bit? Ill give it a closer look sometime, I just looked it over briefly while we were out there.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Congratulations on the kill!

I have found if the bolt handle is not all the way down you will sometimes get CLICK!
And the round does not fire.
Shirt or jacket sleeve can sometimes pull up on the bolt and you not know it happened.
I walk carrying my gun with my hand holding the bolt closed and make sure it is closed often.

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Congratulations on the kill!

I have found if the bolt handle is not all the way down you will sometimes get CLICK!
And the round does not fire.
Shirt or jacket sleeve can sometimes pull up on the bolt and you not know it happened.
I walk carrying my gun with my hand holding the bolt closed and make sure it is closed often.

This ^
Had the same thing happen to me.

That was an awesome day hunting and the bobcat footage was cool.
Tell him congrats, great memories!

Latest posts

Top Bottom