My Youngest Sons Deer Hunt (video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I will let him know! And I think you guys may be right about the bolt not being all the way down.
Congrats on getting the son out! He's taking after his dad with a great shot.
+1000 on the bolt not being closed all the way. I loaned a gun to another person that required some extra effort to put the bolt handle all the way down and the gun into battery. A really big buck stepped out in front of him on a controlled hunt and he got the Click. I'm betting my name got ran through the dirt a zillion times in about one second after that.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep It has happened to a buddy of mine standing right beside me and I loaned him one of my bolt guns to hunt with.
We got there late because his wife did not wake him up and I was knocking on their bedroom window to get him out of bed.
8:30 am. Just out of the vehicle and walking to the woods a nice buck is spotted by my buddy and it took off and he hollers big buck.
I was looking at my tennis shoes walking in the frosted frozen grass thinking I should have worn my boots.
I hear CLICK!
I think as I am raising my rifle.... That sucked for him!
I see the bucks head going over the pond dam but the back of the skull is in my crosshairs I pull the trigger and the deer is out of sight on the other side of the dam.

I said I got him. My buddy said NO way you did not have time.
I look at him and he has some torn up coveralls on with sleeves that are hanging down probably 3" and say I had plenty of time.

His guns bolt is 1/2 way up.
Live and learn.
The buck was DOA right on the other side of the dam.
I walk to the field I was to hunt and there are turkeys in it.
Might be a good day to hunt.
It was not an hour later I got a doe, antlerless. My gun season was over.

I got cussed on that bolt deal.
At least it was not a controlled hunt :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom