Mystery Mauser and 6mm Rem continued…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Revisited this tonight since I want to take it to the range this weekend and confirm it is in fact 6mm Remington which I’m like 99.9% positive it is…

I pulled one of the reloads apart that came with the group of stuff I bought and seen what it really was. First I noticed the bullet is hardly seated in the case, picture below.. the bullet is a 87grain bullet and the powder is a stick powder of some sort and the charge weighed 46.5 grains. I went through my manual and it seems 46.5 is towards the maximum load on any given powder in the chart for bullets in this weight range.

I don’t believe I will attempt to shoot these reloads through it since the powder is unknown and the charge weight seems very hot regardless of powder used. I have a few rounds of factory I may shoot through it or i have some dies and I may load some 100grain bullets I have with some IMR4064.

Sorry for rambling. At least now we have documentation on OSA if PanhandleGlocker becomes inactive. 🤣

2A990F69-96DC-41CA-8E33-467152AC7FC9.jpeg
383F8987-C80B-42B8-A7C6-ED160738E53C.jpeg

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rule of thumb for seating depth is one bullet diameter or more.

So, a 6mm should be seated no less than 6mm deep to ensure a good neck-grip on the bullet.

Those reloads have been neck-sized part way down the neck. The evidence is clearly visible.

I would have no problem with the seating depth, but I would certainly not shoot the unknown powder/load.

Pull the bullet, dump the powder. Neck size, load with your powder, seat the bullet back in there. Go shoot.

Let us know how it works. If it blows up and you die, I have dibs on the SW 41mag revolver.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Revisited this tonight since I want to take it to the range this weekend and confirm it is in fact 6mm Remington which I’m like 99.9% positive it is…

I pulled one of the reloads apart that came with the group of stuff I bought and seen what it really was. First I noticed the bullet is hardly seated in the case, picture below.. the bullet is a 87grain bullet and the powder is a stick powder of some sort and the charge weighed 46.5 grains. I went through my manual and it seems 46.5 is towards the maximum load on any given powder in the chart for bullets in this weight range.

I don’t believe I will attempt to shoot these reloads through it since the powder is unknown and the charge weight seems very hot regardless of powder used. I have a few rounds of factory I may shoot through it or i have some dies and I may load some 100grain bullets I have with some IMR4064.

Sorry for rambling. At least now we have documentation on OSA if PanhandleGlocker becomes inactive. 🤣

View attachment 308273View attachment 308274

How old is the reloading manual you're looking at? If those reloads are decades old, those probably aren't hot loads. Still better safe than sorry though.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 308273View attachment 308274
Looks a lot like H4350

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sat 5 of the 87 grain bullets back over 34.0gr of IMR4064. Kept the same COL.

Wish me luck for the range tomorrow.

Going to shoot this one last just in case… 🥲
Good luck. Maybe tape some Glocks around the action so if it blows nothing important gets hurt. :P

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Well it wasn’t a very good feeling driving to the range this morning and seeing all the firefighters there doing a benefit shotgun shoot. I thought to myself “hope I don’t need their medical expertise after I pull the trigger on this rifle later.”

But I have success! The first shot I was very nervous. When I saw the dirt hit the berm I knew it exited the barrel.

I proceeded to shoot one more round to try to get it on target.

Then I shot one more and got on target. Only had two rounds left after that so I adjusted and shot my last two to see how she grouped.

I think she may be a shooter. I would like to get a proper stock for it someday and some better glass but it does seem to be a solid rifle. I think I may hang onto this one…

Now I need to find someone that can engrave the caliber onto the rifle.

5EC7A266-D0CB-4C49-A163-98E55EC20FE5.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom