Name me a situation where you'd pick bolt-action over 10/22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Accuracy! The Anschutz I had that I sold to Mighty Mouse here was a bolt action that I’d say NO and I mean that 10/22 could hang with in accuracy.
I have a fully tricked out 10/ 22 that basically is only the action case stock, as everything else is some of the best after market parts out there, and it shoots as good as most any 10/22 but a quality bolt gun will out shoot it. Just saying
I agree. If I need high accuracy, I grab the Winchester 75 or the Christensen Arms Ranger 22. Bolt 22's are also way more quiet suppressed than a semi auto.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have my eye on that Ruger American 22lr but can't "honestly" say I have a good enough reason. What specific situations would you reach for the bolt over the semi (specifically 10/22) if you owned both?

If I was teaching scoped rifle fundamentals to a kid specifically for deer hunting, I could justify it. Or if I needed to fire sub-sonic 22lr for pesting. Or if I was competing in some competition and needed maximum accuracy.

However, none of those apply to me right now so I just wondered if there were other reasons for the bolt vs 10/22.
Anytime i want accuracy over volume or want to suppress better.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ammo would be my main reason. Just about everything is going to feed with a decent bolt action.

My kids 10/22 is a finiky bassturd with loose boxes ammo.
On my original 10/22 I had the same issue, but on my newest one I immediately installed a volquartsen extractor kit as soon as I got it :)

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an old bolt action 22 that I keep around for the purpose of pest control.

Very quiet, doesn't get the cops called out.

When these low power quiet loads, 22 birdshot, shorts, etc, they will not cycle the action on a 10-22 or any other auto-loading 22, they work perfectly well in a 22 bolt action single shot.

That's why I have it and that's what it's for for my use.

They are only for low power loads. I have used this on squirrels and certain pesky other critters on pecan trees and the occasional snake or vermin, etc.

22 birdshot, the "quiet rounds" etc.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have my eye on that Ruger American 22lr but can't "honestly" say I have a good enough reason. What specific situations would you reach for the bolt over the semi (specifically 10/22) if you owned both?

If I was teaching scoped rifle fundamentals to a kid specifically for deer hunting, I could justify it. Or if I needed to fire sub-sonic 22lr for pesting. Or if I was competing in some competition and needed maximum accuracy.

However, none of those apply to me right now so I just wondered if there were other reasons for the bolt vs 10/22.
for me its the ability to use any 22 ammo, even rat shot

Virtuaguyver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My main reason are suppressors. I recently got 3 and I feel like I need more bolt guns. Don't get me wrong, they are fun as heck with semi autos but bolt gun is where it's at. I got too many semi's I'll never shoot again and will probably start selling them.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Size. My 77/22 has a boat paddle stock with the exact same dimensions as my 77 MkII in .270.
Timney triggers in both. Cheap practice with a negligible difference in feel.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is why you need 2 10-22s
Gatling 22.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom