Name me a situation where you'd pick bolt-action over 10/22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find bolt guns to be more relaxing to shoot when you just want a relaxing day on the range.
As for the 10/22 specifically; I have one and it rarely gets shot. I just don't like the feel of it. I much prefer my Winchester Wildcat, a Marlin M60 or my old Savages. Even my Mossberg 702 is more comfortable to me. Just my preference, but I don't care for the stock, or the action on it. I pretty much keep it just to remind me, when I get the itch, of why I shouldn't buy anther one....

Don't get me wrong. The 10/22 is a great rifle and I've never had any issue with it. I just don't like it.
So for me the situation where I'd pick bolt-action over a 10/22 is "all of them".
I agree about the 10/22! A marlin model60 was my first “real gun” at age 13. Still have it.. always liked it. I never have been crazy about the ergonomics of the ruger 10/22 though

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
For long range precision zombie killz when you have time and distance on your side...like 50 yds in a hayfield. Otherwise, suppressed Marlin 60 for close in work.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love bolt guns , they usually deliver the most accuracy and they are easy on brass . When I go to the range I usually will take a stick shift before I take a gas gun simply for that reason alone .
I came from a target shooting family and I wasn't allowed a semi auto or a scope til I turned18.
Bolts mostly Mossberg, Winchester.
After 18, it was semi-auto everything.
Later on, it was full-auto everything.
Now it's back to bolts and single shots for long range.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anytime I didn't want to dump 25 rounds into something...

That said manually cycling an unsupressed 10/22 with super colibri's works fine for clandestine racoon eradication in built up urban areas that have a population density of approximately 7500 people per square mile.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have my eye on that Ruger American 22lr but can't "honestly" say I have a good enough reason. What specific situations would you reach for the bolt over the semi (specifically 10/22) if you owned both?

If I was teaching scoped rifle fundamentals to a kid specifically for deer hunting, I could justify it. Or if I needed to fire sub-sonic 22lr for pesting. Or if I was competing in some competition and needed maximum accuracy.

However, none of those apply to me right now so I just wondered if there were other reasons for the bolt vs 10/22.
When the 10-22 jams.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe it would be better to name a situation where you would "Need" to pick a semi-auto over a bolt action?

Latest posts

Top Bottom