Natchez Trace Parkway

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A while back, SoonerP226 mentioned that he would really like to see some photos of the Natchez Trace Parkway that were taken by me. At the time, I figured that I would rather do that in the Fall so as to get the Autumn colors.

We are currently in Tennessee doing a short job for the company that the wife and I work for in the summer. We spent the night in Memphis last night, and this morning, we decided we didn't want to go from Memphis to Nashville on I-40, but take a scenic route (US-64) east from Memphis and then go north to Franklin, where our hotel reservations were made.

Anyway, we got over east and came across the Natchez Trace Parkway, so we decided to take that route instead of the we originally planned. Even though it was threatening rain (and later did rain), we managed to stop and I took some pictures. It looks like the database we need to do this job won't be available until about Friday, so we could have another couple of days to explore the NTP some more.

This is the house in which Meriweather Lewis died. He was buried a short distance from this house and some time later, someone erected a monument over his burial site.

There are various trails along the NTP, which this is just one.

Some of the trails take one right down to the actual Trace itself.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Shortly before getting to this stop along the Trace, we stopped to allow a guy in front of us to pick up a turtle from the middle of the road and move him to the ditch. They then stopped at this same place when we did. Come to find out, both men were retired New York City firefighters that had worked the recovery at the Twin Towers after 9/11. They have moved to Tennessee from New York. Looks like lots of folks leaving New York.

As a side note, while driving east on US-64, we saw signs that indicated that it was the "original Trail of Tears."

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something that I failed to mention before is that the Natchez Trace Parkway is an excellent road for those wanting an adventure on their bicycles. Since the Parkway has a maximum speed limit of 50 mph, there isn't a lot of traffic, thus making it nicer for bicyclists. Drivers of autos are supposed to switch lanes to pass the bicyclists.

We drove up and back on the most northern part of the Tennessee part of the Parkway, roughly 50 miles one way, and traffic was very, very light.

The only drawback right now is because of the Covid. A number of the restrooms along the Parkway are closed.

DSUFLYBOY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice pictures, brings back memories. My family and I moved from the Jackson Mizzsippy area to OKC a little over a year ago.

We made dozens of trips from Jackson either southwest to Natchez, or northeast to Nashville. The Trace is really nice, I tell people all the time its worth driving its entirety once in ones lifetime.

Thanks for sharing.

"Watch your six, count your rounds, and keep your powder dry."

Latest posts

Top Bottom