National Championship!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with you in spirit, but it really just feels different. A LONG time ago, SEC power teams used to be mostly defense and big games might have 30 points total. But if you look at the past 20 years, the scores are there. They have much better offenses than they did way back when.

To be fair, "big 12 brand of football" is mostly weak defense. That's why we rarely win when we go up against those teams in bowl games. They come to play with a full team. So no they don't rack up 45-60 points in a lot of games, but that's just because the teams they play also have good defenses. The SEC Championship winning average over the past 20 years is 36.55 points. Guess what the winning average is for the Big 12 Championship games over the past 20 years (for the years played) is? 36.35.

The big difference comes at the big dance. The winning average there is 34.55 points. The winning average when the Big 12 won? 13 points (2000). When the Big 12 played and lost? 15 points per game, while the winning teams scored 33.33 points on average. So the truth is, when the Big 12 goes to championship games, we don't play Big 12 brand football because we can't. They won't allow us to run all over the field willy-nilly and rack up big scores, They have actual defenses that shut our offenses down, while grinding our weaker defenses to dust with their equal or better offense.

We have exciting games all fall, but fall apart come late December and early January. I don't like it, but it is what it is. :(
Would you be interested in a head coach job in Stillwater? lol
You have it figured out.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, Gundy is an offense guy and it shows. He's running a pretty good offensive coach farm. I'm not sure they know what a "defense" is in Stillwater, and I'm an OSU fan! :(
I wish Gundy would hire Bo Pelini to run the defense, I think it would it make a huge difference even though Pelini can be a hot head.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll always believe defense wins championships in football, that's what ruined OU against the better teams when they play in bowls, they got away from that 2000 defensive team that won them the championship. Offensive fantasy league numbers are cool but they don't seem to work when you run into bigger, faster, better athletes. If they ever get back to getting NFL talent on defense they will be hard to handle. Maybe Lincoln Riley will figure it out and start recruiting those guys, I just think they have let it go wrong for too long and those elite defensive players don't want to come to this conference. They go where they get noticed the most and that's the SEC.
10000000% agreement here.

It was so danged frustrating watching Stoops get 4 and 5 star class recruits on offense all the time who could go out and score 50 on almost any team in the country and yet have a defense that was absolutely mediocre at best. Sure they always seemed to have a couple of studs on each year's squad, but that was about all we could hope for on that side of the ball. It was frustrating to just play the "Leach card" which was just drag racing on the scoreboard. If they want to go all the way they have to be excellent on BOTH sides of the ball.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
10000000% agreement here.

It was so danged frustrating watching Stoops get 4 and 5 star class recruits on offense all the time who could go out and score 50 on almost any team in the country and yet have a defense that was absolutely mediocre at best. Sure they always seemed to have a couple of studs on each year's squad, but that was about all we could hope for on that side of the ball. It was frustrating to just play the "Leach card" which was just drag racing on the scoreboard. If they want to go all the way they have to be excellent on BOTH sides of the ball.
We'll see what Mike Leach does in the SEC, my guess is not much. What's sad is Lincoln Riley is a carbon copy of him, they don't believe in defense, they want to score as fast as possible. You cannot control the clock very well doing that and it wears your defense out unless you have depth to rotate guys in/out. Ou has no depth on defense, they barely have guys who could be backups on a descent SEC team. Look at the draft for the last 15 years, hardly any Big 12 guys are drafted on defense. . I don't know what went wrong, back when K-State was going with old man Bill in the late 90's, Nebraska and A&M were winning this league had talent and was a very tough conference. Its sad to see but the Big 12 is a joke nationally now. OU is literally the only thing the have and they can't play with the big dogs its been proven again this year.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll always believe defense wins championships in football, that's what ruined OU against the better teams when they play in bowls, they got away from that 2000 defensive team that won them the championship. Offensive fantasy league numbers are cool but they don't seem to work when you run into bigger, faster, better athletes. If they ever get back to getting NFL talent on defense they will be hard to handle. Maybe Lincoln Riley will figure it out and start recruiting those guys, I just think they have let it go wrong for too long and those elite defensive players don't want to come to this conference. They go where they get noticed the most and that's the SEC.

I think Grinch is moving in a positive direction. Not many defenses have to play against high powered offenses week in and week out. Definitely wears out one side of the ball it would seem.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see some of the pussyfication rules hitting the defensive type players hard. Dick Butkus awards may be handed out but if any of the players did what he used to do they'ed get suspended.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see some of the pussyfication rules hitting the defensive type players hard. Dick Butkus awards may be handed out but if any of the players did what he used to do they'ed get suspended.
Those "pussyfication" rules are an attempt to increase player safety so that fewer players like Calcaterra have their careers cut short by injuries. College players today are bigger, stronger, and faster than (although maybe not as tough, and certainly not nearly as cutthroat as) pros of Butkus's day, so a lot of what they did could easily end someone's career--or worse, cripple someone--today.

Latest posts

Top Bottom