Nationwide reciprocity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nationwide reciprocity bill ready to introduce in 2017
A Republican lawmaker and member of President-elect Trump’s Second Amendment Coalition has a concealed carry reciprocity measure waiting for introduction to the new Congress.

U.S. Rep. Richard Hudson, a Republican from North Carolina, is one of 121 co-sponsors of a languishing House bill to allow the holder of a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun in any state and announced Monday he planned to renew the effort as soon as the new body meets next year.

“Our Second Amendment right doesn’t disappear when we cross state lines, and I plan to re-introduce legislation in the first days of the 115th Congress to guarantee that,” Hudson said in a message posted to social media. Last month Hudson was one of just six Congressmen listed among the 62 co-chairs of the pro-gun Second Amendment Coalition of advisors to Trump.

Hudson’s plan would allow the holder of a valid photo ID and concealed handgun permit to carry in any state so long as they are not prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal law. Persons carrying as a non-resident in a state would otherwise be bound by whatever laws of the state they are visiting. This would end the confusing patchwork of reciprocity agreements that are currently in place across the country.

With the numbers of concealed carry permits ballooning in recent years and all states ostensibly having a framework to allow for such licensing, the prospect of treating concealed carry permits like driver’s licenses — allowing current permit holders to carry in any other state that issues permits — has been something of a holy grail for gun rights advocates.

Legislation has been steadily introduced by GOP lawmakers on Capitol Hill in the past three Congresses, but has failed to gain traction. Now, with a new administration in the White House, who has voiced support of the concept, nationwide reciprocity seems obtainable.

However, with only 52 Republicans in the new Senate and 60 votes needed to shortcut a filibuster, Connecticut Democrat Sen. Richard Blumenthal, a staunch gun rights opponent, told the Wall Street Journal last month that any version of a national reciprocity bill would be “dead on arrival” in the chamber.

Gun control advocates argue that any federal mandate to recognize carry permits would be a “race to the bottom” that could violate states’ rights by authorizing a visitor to carry a gun even if the permit holder didn’t meet the criteria to possess a firearm under the laws of the state they were visiting.

The 115th Congress meets Jan. 3.
(Mods: I couldn't find the 2A discussion area, please move if necessary)

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we had another thread like this not too long ago.

As is noted in the article, one issue that was brought up is that, for the most part, gun laws for CC have remained a state issue. By letting the feds preempt the states, it's turning move power over to the feds. And if they can force all states to accept a permit, they can revoke permissions, too.

Some states have different 'levels' of carry, as well. Will a standard Mississippi permit work for everywhere, or will it require the 'enhanced' permit?

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
National reciprocity could have some unintended consequences. While I would like to be able to carry anywhere, I'm afraid national reciprocity could lead us down a dangerous path.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So why is it then that a drivers license is good from state to state, as well as other licenses I'm sure...while certain rules that pertain to them may vary? (Insurance coverage requirements, emissions requirements, etc). That all varies state to state, but I can drive my car everywhere.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So why is it then that a drivers license is good from state to state, as well as other licenses I'm sure...while certain rules that pertain to them may vary? (Insurance coverage requirements, emissions requirements, etc). That all varies state to state, but I can drive my car everywhere.

I believe the legal term is 'full faith and credit' but i don't know how states determine which items to acknowledge and which to not. But not all state-issued licenses (things like legal licenses, contractor, etc) are valid across state lines, i believe.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A problem I foresee is with each state having separate laws regarding magazine capacities, bullet types, calibers etc, a person crossing state lines could get into trouble quickly.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

It is because the states worked it out among themselves. There is NO Federal law requiring the states to honor each other's driver's licenses.

The same states that will not honor other state's carry licenses now are the very ones that will poison any Federal law intended to force the issue. I fear serious unwanted consequences, and am convinced, based on the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act that BANNED NEW REGISTRATION of fully automatic arms, that we will get shafted. You seriously think California, Hawaii, New York, New Jersey, Maryland won't filibuster until they get "poison pill" amendments approved?

Last edited:

Singularis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I was a big Constitutionalist I was all for the 10th Amendment agrument, States' rights, federalism, and all that... now I am more pragmatic. That may have been how things once worked in this country, but it hasn't been for some time.

The fact is that we now live under a highly centralized governmental system in which the feds can regulate pretty much anything they want, and the courts will back them up. If pro-gun people don't use this power to increase freedom when they have the chance, it sure as hell isn't going to stop the antis from using it to take away freedom when they are in power. Of course this power will be used to take away freedom much more often than it will be used to protect it... but if you refuse to use it when you have it, you will get nothing at all, while the other side that has no such restraints uses it to pound you. All out of some misguided fantasy that we live under a system of government that we haven't had in this country for at least 80 years... maybe more like 150 years.

Of course this doesn't change the fact that I think we live under a terrible system and think we should be working to dismantle it in every way possible... but if we don't play by the rules of the game we're currently playing, we're going to just flat put get our asses beat every time. And unfortunately that game is currently "Sovietized totalitarian centralized government police state."

I say grab an expansion of carry rights now, to make up for whatever disarmament scheme the antis try to push next time they're holding the bullwhip... while we work towards secession, revolution, and every other way we can think of to get out from under this sorry-ass system.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I was a big Constitutionalist I was all for the 10th Amendment agrument, States' rights, federalism, and all that... now I am more pragmatic. That may have been how things once worked in this country, but it hasn't been for some time.

The fact is that we now live under a highly centralized governmental system in which the feds can regulate pretty much anything they want, and the courts will back them up. If pro-gun people don't use this power to increase freedom when they have the chance, it sure as hell isn't going to stop the antis from using it to take away freedom when they are in power. Of course this power will be used to take away freedom much more often than it will be used to protect it... but if you refuse to use it when you have it, you will get nothing at all, while the other side that has no such restraints uses it to pound you. All out of some misguided fantasy that we live under a system of government that we haven't had in this country for at least 80 years... maybe more like 150 years.

Of course this doesn't change the fact that I think we live under a terrible system and think we should be working to dismantle it in every way possible... but if we don't play by the rules of the game we're currently playing, we're going to just flat put get our asses beat every time. And unfortunately that game is currently "Sovietized totalitarian centralized government police state."

I say grab an expansion of carry rights now, to make up for whatever disarmament scheme the antis try to push next time they're holding the bullwhip... while we work towards secession, revolution, and every other way we can think of to get out from under this sorry-ass system.

Lead the way, General! Your brilliant grasp of History and your profound understanding of politics make you the ideal leader of the coming revolution. Make it happen, good sir, make it happen! The late Republic needs a man of your wisdom and understanding. Lead the way, sir!

Latest posts

Top Bottom