Nato, leather, bracelet, rubber - what is your preferred style?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know why i can't post a poll here, so i'll just ask - which method or style do you prefer for your watch?

I've always been a bracelet guy since i've always lived in humid places. That said, i have a perlon that i love in the warmer months. Even with an automatic watch, the combination is so light and simple that it is hard to beat. It's also infinitely adjustable since there are no designated holes. Makes it great for the heat of summer.

I'm still waiting for the tool-free watch clasp to become more common. Now that some microbrands are producing them, i'm hopeful that it becomes 'standard' as i think it'd really elevate many watches.

So, which do you prefer?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’m mostly leather but have silicone on 3 or 4. I like that tweed weave I had on the Roamer yesterday but it’s the only one I have.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do like NATO Straps, however no bueno for exhibition back wristwatches (except for Faux NATO's.) Leather deployment style are nice, depending on the grain, color. Horween is really nice on a rugged watch, however don't go cheep. Silicon/Rubber big yes. As far as bracelets it all depends. Ones with screws opposed to pins are the best. I have found my Breitling and Doxa Grain of rice bracelets to be the best overall for comfort and fit. Rolex oyster, eh all I can say is better than a Seiko. If I had to choose one strap to rule them all, Horween, then Silicon, then grains of rice bracelets. If you have a bracelet, save the links. Had a Rolex Datejust sevaral years back that I sold for a profit (which I still regret). Had the oyster bracelet in 316L Stainless, bought it used and needed a link for fit. Each link I got cheap but they were still $100 each (made sure I had a full set that would have come with the watch.) Point, save your links.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends. I will say that for me now, for Natos, it's Erikas or go home. The bracelet has to have a good clasp.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on the watch. I guess my Breitling has a bracelet style band, and it wouldn’t look right with anything else. For my Apple Watch, I keep thinking about trying a different style, but somehow I’ve never managed to replace the plain black “elastomer” band that came with it (other than buying an XL variant to fit my giant wrists).

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Nato would be my preference, but doing what I do they get to stinking do to sweet. Have a mesh bag I with put them in to run through the washer when they do. Bracelets can be a pain but I run a couple through the sonic cleaner every couple months when they start getting grungy. Silicone, while my least favorite, they are a breeze to clean. just soap and water at the same time as washing my hands......I have one leather nato that is unworn as of yet and another traditional leather one that the jury is still out on as to whether I like it.
What do you guys use the clean the leather? Saddle soap?

Latest posts

Top Bottom