Navy SEAL Edward Gallagher found not guilty on murder and attempted murder charges

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t even know what your point is here?

The choice was clear. Pursue a fatally flawed criminal investigation for some purpose other than justice, or follow the law and criminal procedure, which would be to keep the investigation open if and until at least some shred of corroborating evidence came to light.

The Navy took the least smart route. My personal opinion based on both time in service and lots of research, is the Navy prefers command and control over justice and the rule of law. So they went after him wildly and aggressively, to include unnecessary detention and restraints. They had a message to send; “We own you”.

The man had EIGHT deployments in combat, but this was his first time to go off the rez? Yeah, something is fishy here. It sounds less like a modern American legal prosecution, and more like the Salem Witch Trials. Regardless, what you or I think doesn’t matter. Seven of his peers have found him Not Guilty. He can never be prosecuted for these alleged crimes again. He won, they lost, end of story. Whatever’s left is between him and God.

Between this and the SEALS killing the Green Beret in Africa, as well as other serious issues the past few years, I think there's something wrong with their culture. If I were JCS Dunford, I'd order a top to bottom INDEPENDENT review of the entire program. They need to clear the decks and shape up most ricky tick. You don’t hear SFOD, Rangers, Green Berets, MARSOC, TACP/CCT/PJ’s having these issues that make headlines. They’re the silent professionals whereas the SEALS seem to skyline themselves way too much.

That’s not a Gallagher problem, that’s a command and control problem. :(
I agree with most of that but I seriously doubt, that was the first time he went "off Res" Betting he had a history of it. There just wasn't anyone willing to forward charges against him.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with most of that but I seriously doubt, that was the first time he went "off Res" Betting he had a history of it. There just wasn't anyone willing to forward charges against him.
\
The Navy Times describes his reputation pretty much as you assume, but he wasn't being tried on his reputation (and shouldn't have been) The Navy tried him on this one crime they thought they could prove and they lost. I accept the result. I don't have a problem with the way the system is set up.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very bizarre case that exposes some serious issues. Part of his defense was that his team mates tried to frame him. If they did, why? Are they corrupt or was he? Then pile on the prosecutorial misconduct and the whole thing is just ugly for the Navy and the SEALs.

The SEALs need to go back into invisible mode.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
\
The Navy Times describes his reputation pretty much as you assume, but he wasn't being tried on his reputation (and shouldn't have been) The Navy tried him on this one crime they thought they could prove and they lost. I accept the result. I don't have a problem with the way the system is set up.
Yeah, the Navy prosecution dropped the ball, but I still dont like the fact that he got off as lightly as he did. And I guessing he will keep his pension.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, I would be upset about this but I read a lot about ISIS, their ideology and their crimes. I recognize and admit my own hypocrisy and irrationality when it comes to how I normally feel about the treatment of prisoners who can no longer put up a fight but to put it plainly, these scum are monsters and I mean that very literally. They should be shown ZERO quarter. There's just no other way to describe their tyranny or their depravity. Many of them who have been interrogated have admitted to not even buying into the ideology, they're just sociopaths or psychopaths or rapists who hide behind that ideology so they can sate themselves on the suffering of others. They not only commit atrocities against humanity but do their best to destroy history that is thousands of years old in order to re-make the world in their perspective. They leave nothing but grief and destruction in their wake. A 15 yr old is accountable enough in my eyes to know the severity of that sort of destruction when he signed on. To hell with him.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jury sentences Navy SEAL for posing with Iraq war casualty
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A decorated Navy SEAL acquitted of murder in the killing of a wounded Islamic State captive in Iraq but convicted over posing with the corpse was given a demotion by a military jury Wednesday after the Bronze Star recipient acknowledged making ethical and moral mistakes.
After the court announced the sentence includes a reduction in rank, Gallagher turned to his wife, shook his head and pretended to unpin his "anchors" — the insignia of a chief — and fling them across the courtroom. He then smiled and hugged her.
The jury called for reducing Gallagher's rank by one grade to petty officer 1st class and ordered his monthly pay cut by $2,697 for four months. He was busted to E-6, a significant reduction in rank which will impact his retirement. I wonder what kind of job he'll seek once he's retired, mercenary, bodyguard??

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Court Martial Board does not have the final word. The penalty must be reviewed and approved by the convening authority (Commander), then is automatically appealed to the next higher Commander, where it is reviewed by his JAG (legal staff), and then is subject to his approval. Any Commander in the chain upward to the CIC can reduce or set aside the penalty.

Stay tuned until the whole process is through to see the outcome.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, I forgot what you said and didn't know some. I hope Gallagher gets to keep his rank because he and his family have gone through a lot and I don't think he'll be a contributor on Fox News but who knows-he'd draw a lot of viewers though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom