Navy Vets, did you "Cross the Line"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I, too, never made it across the equator, but spent some time above the arctic circle. I do believe it was aboard the Wasp. That was the time we ran into some heavy seas and I got to see green water come over the flight deck. Every time the bow took a deep dive, columns of water would come gushing in around the anchor chain portals. I was birthed in the forecastle right below the flight deck - and the catapults. (There was no sleep to be had during ops!) Anyway, the forward bulkhead between the forecastle birthing compartment and the compartment where the anchor chain comes up from its storage compartment and out the portals, cracked. I guess the bulkhead oil-canned a few too many times over the lifetime of the carrier during heavy seas.

Interesting factoid: While the Wasp was bobbing up and down in the huge waves, coming to the magic frequency where the bow would take its deepest dive into the oncoming wave, the tin cans would simply ride up and over the waves with little trouble. In some of the not-so-heavy seas, the carriers float along smooth as class while the tin cans rock fore and aft like a twig going down the Colorado River rapids. First the bow is out of the water then the next moment the screw(propeller) is spinning in the open air! Quite a sight to see from the calm decks of a carrier.

Woody, USN '66 - '70.

The Blue Ridge rocked back and forth in even the calmest seas, being a flat bottomed ship. The movement was side to side and front to back, all mixed together. My first port visit on that ship in Saipan was interesting as I stumbled around on land for the first day. I finally understood what "like a drunken Sailor" really meant.
The Chancellorsville (CG-62) constantly moved side to side, since cruisers are a little top heavy.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a Marine, but went through the Shellback Ceremony way back in 1979 aboard the USS Ft. Snelling. My favorite part was crawling through the tunnel filled with garbage, scraps from the mess deck, and only the Good Lord knows what else. A cool Naval tradition, and one I hope doesn't get taken over or away by the politically correct crowd.

A lot of it was lost when they tried to eliminate the hazing in the '90's and '00's. The flogging and anything physical is definitely gone. Probably the nasty food crawl as well.
The Sailors want to do it but some ships skip over it entirely and just hand out certificates.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a Marine, but went through the Shellback Ceremony way back in 1979 aboard the USS Ft. Snelling. My favorite part was crawling through the tunnel filled with garbage, scraps from the mess deck, and only the Good Lord knows what else. A cool Naval tradition, and one I hope doesn't get taken over or away by the politically correct crowd.
It is long gone. PC did it in

Latest posts

Top Bottom