Neat little 'gunsmithing ' job. Fitting a Weaver rail to a Hi-Point Carbine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I bought this used Hi-Point 995 9MM Carbine. It had some issues so back to the factory it went for warranty service. After getting it back I thought I'd like to try out a cheapo red-dot sight. H-P makes a scope rail for this but I just wanted to see what I could come up with rather than wait for them to ship it. So I got thinking, what to do for an optics rail?

I looked on eBay and did not see anything I liked or thought was worth the money asked. While in Big Boy's gun shop today I saw a Weaver brand scope mount that was long enough to fit the top of the cover where the peep sights were. It was $8.95.

After it cooled down a bit I went into the workshop and began making this fit. The first issue is the bottom on the new mount is curved to fit the top of a rounded receiver. Had to mill that flat.

Pic #1. First pass milling the curved bottom off:

awww.twmaster.com_stuff_shoot_hpscope_hpscope1.jpg

After milling the bottom flat (a total of .100" of material was removed):

awww.twmaster.com_stuff_shoot_hpscope_hpscope2.jpg

Next I flipped the part over and milled the cross slots for the retaining screws to clear the rails. I really wanted a Picatinny rail but this Weaver will have to do. I milled 3 slots all 1.5" apart. This way I can move the sight back further if needed.

awww.twmaster.com_stuff_shoot_hpscope_hpscope3.jpg

Then I matched the holes in the top of the receiver cover, drilled and counter bored so the heads would be flush. I also had to mill out the bottom of the rail to fit the two raised spots on the top of the receiver cover. Sorry the pics were waaay out of focus showing the drilling etc operations so no pics of that.

Here's the rail mounted to the top of the receiver cover:

awww.twmaster.com_stuff_shoot_hpscope_hpscope4.jpg

I used the original hardware and one extra screw from my parts bin.

And here it is with the Cheapo NCStar Red-Dot.

awww.twmaster.com_stuff_shoot_hpscope_hpscope5.jpg

So far so good. Hopefully I'll get some range time this week and report back.

Was a fun little job.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nice job, just for future reference, if you are missing a small part like that, call Hi Point and they will have it to you for free almost before you can hang up the phone and get to the door ;)

Here is a nice little forum about Hi Points.... drop in and say howdy if you get a chance. We talk about everyting under the sun, including Hi Points on occasion

www.hipointtalk.net

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heh. It just came back from the mothership. They said they'd install an OEM rail. I figured I'd just use the thousands of bucks worth of shop tools to make a $10 part! ;)

Besides, I want to learn some gunsmithing and this was a good opportunity.

I'm on the 'official' HP forums. I'll stop in and check out those.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Using a weaver mount for a marlin 336 probably would have been quicker and easier. Cause they are already flat. LOL!

Latest posts

Top Bottom