Neat, we're putting up paywalls to be here now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have yet, after 20+ years of using a CC on the interwebs to buy stuff, have had my CC info compromised.

Now, at a gas station or some sh*tty convenience store in OKC or a Wawa in VA or someplace? yeah. Several times.

I've had it happen a couple of times....in 40 years.....the last time i got my normal text saying I had just purchased $500 of scuba equipment in Oregon......... called the credit card company to dispute and it was canceled before it ever got posted. They canceled my card and sent me a new one........ easy as that.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have yet, after 20+ years of using a CC on the interwebs to buy stuff, have had my CC info compromised.

Now, at a gas station or some sh*tty convenience store in OKC or a Wawa in VA or someplace? yeah. Several times.
Yeah.....I don't use my debit at gas stations either .....just the same credit card.....different from my online card

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone probably already knows this, but if any of you guys use your DEBIT card for ANY purchase and it's compromised, the bank can limit what they return to you.

If you use that same DEBIT card and run it as CREDIT or Bypass PIN, it's treated as a credit card and has all the protections related to CCs.

Any time your pin is used it's not protected.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone probably already knows this, but if any of you guys use your DEBIT card for ANY purchase and it's compromised, the bank can limit what they return to you.

If you use that same DEBIT card and run it as CREDIT or Bypass PIN, it's treated as a credit card and has all the protections related to CCs.

Any time your pin is used it's not protected.
Good to know. I rarely use my pin. Always refused to use my debit at un-manned terminals like gas stations as it seems they are the ones that tend to get the skimmers attached.

Latest posts

Top Bottom