Necessity of crimping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creekhawg

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm reloading 150 gr Sierra FMJBT cannelured bullets for my Remmy 700 in .308 but neck sizing and wonder if I would maintain sufficient jump-off velocity by skipping the crimping stage? They're already tight enough to not budge. Thanks!

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
you need lengthen your cartridge overall length for best results. the cannelure means nothing unless you are crimping for a semi auto or for use in other guns.you want an uncrimped bullet just shy of the rifling for a match quality reload.the safe way to do this is to get a gauge and do some reading.I am assuming you are at least trimming and weighing the case if not flash hole deburring and inside -outside neck turning

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Really, I thought the rule of thumb was that if it was a magazine fed gun, you should crimp. I learned something tonight, thanks!

a garand type action has a smooth feed but I have seen bullets pushed all the way into the brass on other semis which scared me into crimping. ARs really need it

creekhawg

Marksman
Reaction score
I neck size, trim to specs, chamfer, ream and uniform the primer pocket on my Trim Mate so the cases are as perfect as I can make them before reloading. Looks like I should try a few w/o the crimp. Thanks!

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a garand type action has a smooth feed but I have seen bullets pushed all the way into the brass on other semis which scared me into crimping. ARs really need it

Nah, ARs don't really need it. It's just extra insurance. My AR reloads have never been crimped, and they run like whoa.

Garands will do a pretty good job of mashing the bullet into the case.

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
its the ramps that impact the bullets on an AR the M1A mag is rides higher in the gun and the bullet has a straight path to the chamber reducing the need for a crimp.

Latest posts

Top Bottom