Neck sizing and shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like numbers so I thought I needed to get some and share them.
That AA2495 did NOT have good case fill.

I am shooting off the concrete benches and using a Bipod in front and the rear of the stock is resting on a bag and I have the gun shouldered firmly.
Nikon 2.5-10x40 scope is used on this 20" barrel .308 Savage 10SR.
Stock barrel ,trigger and stock that came on the rifle from Academy.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you sort and weigh your brass swampratt?

I got a bunch of LC-05 .308 cases 500 of them to be exact.
I prepped the things to the last degree and sorted by weight to the last 2 tenths of a grain and even sorted bullets by weight and sorted bullets by Ogive to base length.

I did that because I had a very difficult time getting those LC cases to shoot a tight group.
Did all that sorting help.....NO

In fact the precision sorted rounds shot terrible.
I was not annealing at that time and not neck turning either.
I did sort after sizing though so all cases had same OD and ID in the neck area and if one seated the bullet easier it was culled.

For an experiment during all this I took 3 cases that had the lowest weight the highest weight and a middle weight and loaded those also.
Clover leaf group from those 3.
Best group of the day.

I even tried sorting by case volume..I used BL-C2 powder trickled through a funnel slowly into each case and card it off without bumping the case which will settle the powder a bit more.

No positive results there either.
I finally gave up on LC .308 cases.
My Winchester cases shot way better.
And I only sorted those by the way the inside of the bottom of the case looks and Neck ID and OD after sizing.

If you look at the base of the Winchester case inside some have a raised ring like a nipple.
Others are totally flat.
The early ones all had the ring.
I have a sneaking suspicion winchester farmed out case building and the cases became different.
I do not mix those.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out today and shot and neck sized until I had pretty stiff bolt lift then continued shooting and neck sizing and had to slightly tap the bolt open with my hand on the last 5 shots.
Time to Full length size the case and continue on.

I will head to Lexington gun range tomorrow and fight the wind and try to kill this piece of .308 brass.
You guys are welcome to come out.

Hot loads today were 45.5gr Varget with 168gr Bullets.

Jonny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out today and shot and neck sized until I had pretty stiff bolt lift then continued shooting and neck sizing and had to slightly tap the bolt open with my hand on the last 5 shots.
Time to Full length size the case and continue on.

I will head to Lexington gun range tomorrow and fight the wind and try to kill this piece of .308 brass.
You guys are welcome to come out.

Hot loads today were 45.5gr Varget with 168gr Bullets.
What time do you think you'll be out there?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are the first 5 shots today after trimming to 2.001"
I seated these about .050" deeper later on in the day and they shot with less vertical.
Different powder though.
015.JPG

I then went to the next load which was IMR 4064 I had 6 of the Hornady 168 A-Max bullets and 3 of the Tipped match king 168 bullets.
I used 2 different primers also the Federal 210M and the CCI 200.
Different seating depths for the 2 bullets also.
Not a bad 9 shot (Hunting) group considering what I did with the loads.

014.JPG

To the left of the center line are the 5 rounds with a Hornady #3031 150 gr bullets and BL-C(2) powder at 45.0 gr.
CCI 200 primers
At the end of those shots fired the case had grown to 2.011" OAL.

I did shoot it 3 more times and called it quits for the day. 168 TMK bullets and AA2495 powder No measurements on case length yet.

I have not annealed any during today's firing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom