Need a good plumber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I was checking under my master bath jacuzzi tub yesterday because I heard some water dripping in my closet when my wife was taking a bath. Someone had cut a rectangular hole in the wall next to the tub in my closet and then placed a vent over it to cover it up. I knew it was there but thought it was to get to the faucet and stuff. But I don’t know why it wasn’t made that way. I don’t know if the previous homeowner did it or they had a plumber do it. When I looked under there I couldn’t believe what I saw. How the inspector didn’t find this is beyond me. There is a big hole that looks like they jackhammered the foundation make. There is dirt inside the hole! They went down all the way through the foundation and Bugs can just come right up through into the house. I don’t see any problems other than the little overflow drain in the tub was leaking. I don’t understand why there are so many lines coming up though. I would think there would only be two?
They also poured some concrete under there and just let it harden. They didn’t smooth it out or anything. On the right side of the tub is where most of it is. I don’t know why they didn’t cover the hole.

I need to remove my tub so I can fix the hole but have no idea how to do it. Does anyone know a good plumber that could look at this for me and help remove the tub? I want to make sure there ain’t something wrong that I don’t see. Or is anyone on here a plumber? Here are some pictures of the foundation under the tub.
2C6C5706-6CB8-4AFD-8AD9-FE8F3600C4E6.jpeg
A0AB1BE5-6FB5-4D90-9F64-BD1CD7F9AE64.jpeg
6AD6B584-8EAE-4BD8-8C15-CD88CBCD2C53.jpeg
B5EA3E9E-9BA2-4CC0-9F6B-C890DFBFBFD8.jpeg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Most jetta/ jacuzzi tubs are dirt underneath. My wife saw ours and wasn’t happy with it either. I’ve been in enough new construction to see it plenty.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Supposed to be dirt where the pipes come up so I am told.
Not solid concrete as the concrete will expand and contract and could rub a hole into the line.
Not to mention rolling earthquakes and what they do to concrete slabs.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Supposed to be dirt where the pipes come up so I am told.
Not solid concrete as the concrete will expand and contract and could rub a hole into the line.
Not to mention rolling earthquakes and what they do to concrete slabs.
That makes sense. I just can’t figure out why it looks as if it’s been broken up to make the hole. I would think of it was poured that way it would be a square or rectangle. Or a good circle. It’s a weird shape. And then the fact that they dumped some concrete in and didn’t smooth it out. It almost looks as if they did it to give the tub a base to sit on. But the left side doesn’t touch it. Who knows. But I do remember going in a new construction home a few months ago and where the shower was it was dirt and there was a pvc pipe sticking up. So I guess that is how it’s done. But that one looked way better than mine.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but the concrete that you are seeing looks to be what they tend to pour before setting a tub. It gives them room to level the tub as well as to give it support. Kind of like mortar for tile. I've got nothing for the pipes though.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My house built in the 70's was the same way.
When I see pipe come up thrugh the 2X4 floor area it usually has a much larger hole than what is needed and many times the pipes have foam insulation on them.

Want to really freak out look at the concrete floor where it joins the wall.
many homes the floors are not attached to the concrete wall area. Just the way they do it.
I hate it as that makes a void all the way around the floor and termites and ants get a free pass there.
I pour my concrete in 1 pour all joined together like an industrial building.
Full of rebar also.
Not fun to take apart.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a plumber. Usually when we set a tub we pour concrete pile and then shove the tub on top of it for support. It’s not unusual for such concrete to be rough because no one can see it normally. Ergo unless you look for it, it doesn’t really need to be done neatly…as far as looking perfectly square, usually to prevent the pipes themselves from becoming encased in concrete we surround it in bubble wrap before the slab is poured. That’s why it looks that way probably. If you do decide to pour concrete in there to fill the hole, make sure you wrap the pex so that the concrete doesn’t erode it. The concrete will eat the pex.

looks like instead of running the pex straight off the manifold they took probably your master lav and water closet cold line and pexed it into the cold line going into your tub. Seems normal to me. They should have concreted that hole though. You can mix a smal amount of concrete and throw it in the hole after protecting the pex and you should be good. It seems too big a hole for expansion foam but that’s just me…messy.

what part of the pipe is leaking? The joint with the tub or the shoe?

thx
Fred

Latest posts

Top Bottom