Need a little guidance on shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Soooo, what advice y'all got for the following: which choke, what load and what "shot setup"?
Of course I will start em with stationary targets to be sure they understand to shoot the clay and that we aren't dealing with a single projectile like they are accustomed to with rifles. We are all right-handed in this family so I'm debating on left to right birds or straight away birds once we graduate to the thrower. I'm thinking straight away and focus on hitting the bird at its "peak". It's an electric thrower that will be firmly anchored so I should be able to get them a repeatable target.

I/C choke with 7/8 loads of 7.5 or 8s. Start them with straight away birds from standing right behind the thrower, then right to left targets as that's a right handed persons most comfortable and natural swing. Save the left to right until they're having fun with the other two and are consistent with the other two. Left to right shots are notoriously easy for a right handed person to never catch up to the bird and/or stop swinging as they pull the trigger.

This is what I tell my kids for sporting clays. After you've seen a practice bird thrown, and in your mind you picture about where you want to break the bird, follow these steps:
1 Trace the bird"s path
2 Trace the bird"s path and move ahead of the bird
3 Trace the bird's path and move ahead of the bird and pull the trigger
4 Trace the bird's path and move ahead of the bird and pull the trigger and keep swinging.

kids pick up on things quickly, and have faster reflexes and better hand eye coordination than you and I will. Starting off with some good habits, and they'll be out shooting most adults fairly quickly.

Now, with all that said above, don't tell them any of this unless they're having trouble hitting the bird lol. They may just naturally shoot well, and you don't want to give them more to think about than is needed. Have fun!!

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't done much shotgunnin but I think my wife, daughters and I could enjoy shooting some clay. I came up with an electric thrower and some clays. Already have a Spainish made 20ga SxS but I'm thinking I should get an Auto for the daughters. An auto should have less recoil. I read that a gas auto will shoot softer than an inertia auto. So, what do y'all recommend in a 20ga gas gun. A youth stock would be good. It will be strictly for shooting clays. I would like to buy a cheaper one for starters. If they all really get into it and it looks like a more expensive model would have benefits we can address upgrading then. Thanks y'all

Been teaching beginning shotgun since about 2008. I have found that women are much more sensitive then men with a shotgun. Guys are about 170 - 250 and women are what lbs? I don't know but on the average women weight less than guys. That recoil that we are just fine with may be too much and just enough that a woman will not want to continue shooting a shotgun. I feel women do much better with a semi. The 1100 and 1148 are good choices because they are little heavy. Few women can shoot a sxs, o/u and enjoy it and stick with it. I would not recommend a light o/u. Really hard recoil. If you want your women to shoot with you, take the recoil and pain out of it with a great semi.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got the CZ in today. Had just a minute to shoot before dark. My 12yo daughter shot it and said, "Is that all?" (Referring to recoil). I think we made a good choice. She whacked the first clay thrown. Only had time to throw a few. Life is good. We will see if the 9yo daughter can handle it tomorrow.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got the CZ in today. Had just a minute to shoot before dark. My 12yo daughter shot it and said, "Is that all?" (Referring to recoil). I think we made a good choice. She whacked the first clay thrown. Only had time to throw a few. Life is good. We will see if the 9yo daughter can handle it tomorrow.

Good deal. First experiences make all the differences in the world.
I cringe every time I see somebody take a kid or girlfriend out to shoot for the first time and load them up with a magnum load so they can get a video to post on youtube. They just ruined that person for life from ever shooting again.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1480.PNG
Well, the CZ 720 was a little to heavy for my 9yo. The 12yo loves it. The 9yo is a short armed lil critter. I had decided that maybe a youth 410 would suit her but was pretty sure I'd be setting her up for frustration trying to bust clays. I also thought to myself maybe I was trying to push her to soon. She really loved the few shots she got to take at clays with the CZ and really wants to get after em like big sister. So today we ran to Bills, Atwood's, BassPro and Academy. Almost bought an Adult Yildiz 410 o/u and a recoil pad so I could cut down the stock. Then we started lookin over a Youth Yildiz A71 20ga auto. Weighs a pound less than the CZ and 9yo said she was pretty sure that's the one she needed. Checked out some youth Rem 1187's and she said they were too heavy. Same with Mossberg and Weatherby. I guess we will see how this one works tomorrow. She looks confident pointing it. I just hope it eats ammo. I don't expect perfection at $400 but it looks decent built and actually has decent wood. I don't know many folks with shotguns so I guess I will just buy em and try em til we find a fit.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 113926 Well, the CZ 720 was a little to heavy for my 9yo. The 12yo loves it. The 9yo is a short armed lil critter. I had decided that maybe a youth 410 would suit her but was pretty sure I'd be setting her up for frustration trying to bust clays. I also thought to myself maybe I was trying to push her to soon. She really loved the few shots she got to take at clays with the CZ and really wants to get after em like big sister. So today we ran to Bills, Atwood's, BassPro and Academy. Almost bought an Adult Yildiz 410 o/u and a recoil pad so I could cut down the stock. Then we started lookin over a Youth Yildiz A71 20ga auto. Weighs a pound less than the CZ and 9yo said she was pretty sure that's the one she needed. Checked out some youth Rem 1187's and she said they were too heavy. Same with Mossberg and Weatherby. I guess we will see how this one works tomorrow. She looks confident pointing it. I just hope it eats ammo. I don't expect perfection at $400 but it looks decent built and actually has decent wood. I don't know many folks with shotguns so I guess I will just buy em and try em til we find a fit.
Good choice letting the daughter figure out which gun she can handle.
Your over the first hurdle. Congrats!

Latest posts

Top Bottom