Need a locksmith or someone to cut a car key

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, does anybody here have the ability to cut a key? I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...rd_w=FTEvt&pd_rd_wg=jJ9pJ&ref_=pd_gw_unk&th=1
I don't need it programmed, just need the key cut to match my other key. Everywhere around here that I have gone will only cut the key if I buy it from them for $100+.
Try ACE Hardware stores are similar. Ones in St. Louis program keys brought in by customers. I boughton line a key/remote kit for a frinds Malibu and had the keys cut at ACE for a couple bucks, as I recall.. Depending upon the car model/year, the remote and keys can be owner programmed.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately the dealer is a good deal they can cut the key to code and program it you don’t want some inexperienced worker at lowes or truevalue cutting it just to have to throw it in the trash. Have it code cut not duplicated each cut has a corresponding number which is the depth of cut. Will be just like a factory key that is how I did them when I worked as a locksmith

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately the dealer is a good deal they can cut the key to code and program it you don’t want some inexperienced worker at lowes or truevalue cutting it just to have to throw it in the trash. Have it code cut not duplicated each cut has a corresponding number which is the depth of cut. Will be just like a factory key that is how I did them when I worked as a locksmith
Yes, do not cheap out on your car keys. I have a friend who is a locksmith and he's always telling me war stories of people that tried to undercut the price doing it themselves. He's told me some keycodes for the vehicles are inside under the door panels. You have to be in the car and take off the door panel to get the code. There is no other way other than going to a dealer then he has to call the manufacturer.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the vin number tells them what key code to use if i remember correctly and as cars age they open the info up to some locksmiths been a while they may now be hiding codes elsewhere also

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The dealer can probably get you the cut code for the key, but that’s not encoded in the VIN. That would be an incredibly stupid place to put it, considering that the VIN is, by law, plainly visible from the outside of the vehicle.

ETA: They probably use the VIN to get the key-cutting code from a dealership or directly from the manufacturer.

When I added remote start to my truck, I took the new keys to Don’s Mobil Lock Shop in Norman and had them cut them, duplicating the original key that never gets used. As much as those two keys cost me, I wasn’t about to risk them on the random staffer working the fancy lock cuttin‘ mo-chine down to the Wal-marts.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The dealer can probably get you the cut code for the key, but that’s not encoded in the VIN. That would be an incredibly stupid place to put it, considering that the VIN is, by law, plainly visible from the outside of the vehicle.

ETA: They probably use the VIN to get the key-cutting code from a dealership or directly from the manufacturer.

When I added remote start to my truck, I took the new keys to Don’s Mobil Lock Shop in Norman and had them cut them, duplicating the original key that never gets used. As much as those two keys cost me, I wasn’t about to risk them on the random staffer working the fancy lock cuttin‘ mo-chine down to the Wal-marts.
It’s coded in the vin

Latest posts

Top Bottom