Need a Machinist who can turn a Radius

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need a machinist who can cut a 3 inch radius (6 inch diameter) on the end of this piece of steel. It is supposed to be 4140 annealed.

www.fototime.com_A24C87383F4E2FA_standard.jpg

Full disclosure. This is the barrel for a replica black powder Civil War Confederate pattern muzzleloading 6 PDR Coehorn mortar using an antique ignition system.

www.fototime.com_8370F162B1866CA_standard.jpg

Anybody able to help?

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a blind hole approximately 3.56" diameter-whatever 6PDR diameter is.

90 lbs piece of 6 inch diameter round stock, the radius of course cut on the solid end.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well apparently I posted this request once before. https://www.okshooters.com/threads/need-machinist-to-turn-radius.289010/#post-3458997

Someone responded to that post last spring and I missed it. My apologies to BReeves for missing his offer to help. And Thank You BReeves for offering.

I do have a lathe. I bought A Grizzly Gunsmithing lathe about 10 years ago to replace my old wore Jet lathe that died after 25 years of gunsmithing. The Grizzly does a good job for me but unfortunately the chucks and rests Grizzly includes in the package are small and are limited to small diameter gun barrels. Not big enough for the model cannon work I am doing now.

Here is the response I posted in the other thread explaining my solution to this issue.

Wow, I don't recall posting this last spring. I know I made a recent post.
Thank for responding then and now.

I am near the end of of unpacking boxes from my move down from Montana-moved down because I married an Okie Gal. Combined two household. Most of what I unpack is duplicate and is either donated to Salvation Army or just tossed. I am nearly finish and just getting to the supplies from the shop.

In 2013 I went Afghanistan for a year and one of the things I thought I bought while there was a larger chuck for my lathe. Getting more settled here lately, and ready to do some work, I couldn't find that chuck. I started thinking, that maybe I had thought about ordering another chuck, but didn't. Yesterday, I found this great heavy box underneath the 4 boxes I was unpacking. It was the lathe chuck.

I now have a chuck big enough to hold this piece in my lathe. I have done incremental turning to make radii in the past so, I am now good to go.

In one of the boxes I unpacked yesterday I also found three tubes that I had started to build popcan mortars. So besides this big honker 6PDR Mortar I also have these three mortars to build.

Thank you for responding.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He he, I thought I was responding to this thread. Remembered the subject and did a search. Must have found your old post. My plan was to grab it on the inside of the hole, would take a good sized chuck to be able to go on the OD. The gun smith làthe is one step up from the one I have, you shouldn't have any trouble.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes the is the plan is to grab inside the bore and run a live center in the tail stock to hold. I have already ran a spreadsheet for the increments.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom