Need a orthopedist recommendation.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well it looks like my "wait and see if it gets better on it's own" plan isn't working so I probably need to go ahead and see a doc.

I don't recall hurting my right shoulder but it has been bothering me for a couple of months.....the shoulder joint seems to ache 24/7, I can't hold my arm in one position for any length of time without changing positions, and if I move my arm just right it feels like a lightening bolt hits me from my shoulder to my elbow.

*Past history* I hurt my left shoulder back in the late 80's and it got to the point that I darn near couldn't move my arm to even dress myself so I finally went to a doc, had a MRI done and he determined that I had a partial tear in my rotator cuff and he suggested surgery but told me that we could try physical therapy first to see if that would loosen me up.......after several three times a week PT sessions over a aprox. two month period I regained the use of my arm and I elected to not have the surgery, so far so good.

I'm a pretty big ol' boy and in my meaner and younger days (I'll be 70 on my next birthday) I could both give and take a lickin' and could easily whip a grizzly bears ass with a willow switch (:)) but knowing two fellas that have had shoulder surgery and the excruciating post op pain they both experienced the thought of surgery is definitely something I would not be looking forward to.

Anyway, my regular MD said that he'd give me a referral to any doc that I wanted to go see......any recommendations for a good orthopedist preferably in the Norman area ?

Last edited:

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably rotator cuff is torn or partly torn. Physical therapy is what I've been doing for mine. My Brother went the surgery route and they were not able to do much repair but he went to a therapist the next year and now has full motion and minimal pain. BTW, a video I watched on Youtube described rotator cuff surgery as sewing two pieces of tissue paper together, meaning that the repair wasn't often a permanent fix. I'm just getting by with the help of ice packs, methocarbamol muscle relaxers and PT.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't help with a doc recommendation, but I'm in the same boat. Right shoulder has been pretty bad for about a year. Used steroid dose packs and shots for a while, physical therapy, now I'm going to get MRI's of my shoulder and neck.
Some days it's not too bad, some days it's real bad.
Guess I'll see where it leads.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had my shoulder replaced at the VA in OKC but I wouldn't recommend you go there, mine failed. There is a guy by the name of Carlson and he may still be practicing-i heard he was the best in OKC.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like this.....
IMG_5174 (1).JPG

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't beat McBride's IMHO. Don McGinnis did mine. I had steroid injections and PT prior to surgery. Got some minor relief but it didn't last. Surgery might be a pain, the PT afterwards might be a pain, but I wouldn't be using my right arm like I am now without the surgery.

Latest posts

Top Bottom