Need A Teacher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Perry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suggest the Lee classic Cast press. And the Lee dies.
Some Hornady sizing die wax and some IMR 4064 powder.
Varget is good powder but My groups open up when the temp changes and 4064 does not do that to me.
Varget does that to me in all the guns I use it in.

Here are links to what I would buy if I had to start from scratch again.
Including some really good case prep tools that make my groups small.
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/3...MI1_rdgYHw4AIVGXZeCh0mbQOrEAYYASABEgI3T_D_BwE

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/538030/lee-pacesetter-3-die-set

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1...MImLKa9YHw4AIVNSCtBh04HAbeEAQYBCABEgKjQPD_BwE

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/476992/lee-case-trimmer-cutter-and-lock-stud

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012838679/lee-case-length-gauge-and-shellholder
Choose .308 in the menu.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012758025/hornady-unique-case-lube-4-oz-tub

You will get instructions on load data and how to use the dies in that Lee die set.
A scale would also be nice to have to weigh the loads.

I started with a Lee scale and it was finicky if you wanted it to the tenth of a grain so I modified it.
For a beginner I do not suggest modifying things unless you have machinist background of some kind.
I have the RCBS 505 scale I use.
But it is no longer available. Many scales to choose from.

Dial calipers are a good addition also.
I got some cheap harbor freight ones and they do measure well but my Fowlers are what I use.

Lyman 49th is a really good book to have for reloading.

I started with this and a hammer. Some primers, powder and brass.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/735723/lee-classic-loader.

That made excellent ammo from brass that was shot from my gun.
Thank you for all the links and what I should narrow my search down too. I've got a speer book but I will probably end up buying another one soon.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OOOHHHH Lee hater.
Here are my loads with Lee dies and Press from a pencil barrel Savage Axis .223 with Tasco scope at 100 yards.
17 degrees outside.
I do not like RCBS dies that I have had and do not care for the Rock Chucker primer system on my Rock Chucker press.
Eventually you will try all kinds of things and decide what you like best.
It's a Ford Chevy thing probably.
I can hold sub MOA to 500 yards with my Lee made loads in my rifles Which is as far as I have shot them on paper.
Good enough for me and off the shelf guns I have.
Maybe I just got good Lee stuff and a bad set of RCBS dies.

i263.photobucket.com_albums_ii146_6jeffswish_223_20more_20testing_20100_20yards_20LC_13_20001.jpg

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
OOOHHHH Lee hater.
Here are my loads with Lee dies and Press from a pencil barrel Savage Axis .223 with Tasco scope at 100 yards.
17 degrees outside.
I do not like RCBS dies that I have had and do not care for the Rock Chucker primer system on my Rock Chucker press.
I can hold sub MOA to 500 yards with my Lee made loads in my rifles Which is as far as I have shot them on paper.

i263.photobucket.com_albums_ii146_6jeffswish_223_20more_20testing_20100_20yards_20LC_13_20001.jpg

Are you related to this guy?
upload_2019-3-7_17-17-17.jpeg
? Nice group!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never seen him before in my life!
Thanks.
Too bad that Varget plays nice in certain temps then throws things out of wack.
I retested that load when temps got to 55 degrees and they all looked worse than the first group.

I changed to H4895 and all temps the groups would stay small.
But the above was a dandy sub freezing load with 60gr V-Max.

I used the Lyman VLD chamfer and range picked up LC13 cases, Lee dies, Lee single stage press and 505 RCBS scale.

I have thought about Forester dies a few times but my groups are good enough and I fall back on an issue I had years ago.

I wanted a Swiss ABU reel Like 7000 series.
Man those were pricy and then I thought I have cought more fish on a Zebco 33 so I still did not get it.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used a lot of Lee stuff over the years, most of it still working. It will save you a lot of money, and isn't bad stuff. I usually tell people Lee stuff will last you almost a lifetime, while Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, etc. will last you five lifetimes.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Never seen him before in my life!
Thanks.
Too bad that Varget plays nice in certain temps then throws things out of wack.
I retested that load when temps got to 55 degrees and they all looked worse than the first group.

I changed to H4895 and all temps the groups would stay small.
But the above was a dandy sub freezing load with 60gr V-Max.

I used the Lyman VLD chamfer and range picked up LC13 cases, Lee dies, Lee single stage press and 505 RCBS scale.

I have thought about Forester dies a few times but my groups are good enough and I fall back on an issue I had years ago.

I wanted a Swiss ABU reel Like 7000 series.
Man those were pricy and then I thought I have cought more fish on a Zebco 33 so I still did not get it.

OHHH come on don't tell me you have never seen Young Frankenstien!!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
OOOHHHH Lee hater.
17 degrees outside.

The only quality Lee product I've ever used are the Lee powder dippers, they're actually freakishly accurate and consistent. Just think how tight that group could be with different dies.............
:laugh6:

Latest posts

Top Bottom