Need A Teacher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have thought about that and maybe I need to test that theory.
Funny on the scoopers from Lee.
I built a kick butt load for a .243 using the scoopers shot great every time i took it out and decided to really dial it in.
So I weighed the scoops for 10 rounds and settled on the middle of the weight.
Then i weighed each one to the granual and tripple checked it on the 505 scale and it came out same all 3 times.
So load the cases already.
The groups did terrible and I went back to the scoops and it was all good.

Very odd.
Volume is much more important sometimes than weight.
I almost hate the .243 because the powder is so far down the case.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good evening everyone,

I am in search of a teacher and friend around Stillwater area to help me learn the steps of reloading. I've done a lot of research and have a good idea about reloading, but I also figured it would never hurt to listen to someone that has been doing it a long time. I am wanting to reload for a 308. I have lots of brass, 1000 primers to start off with, 168gr Hornady Amax bullets. I know I need to buy powder and dies.

Is there anyone around the Stillwater area that would mind helping me out, i.e. giving me instruction on a good starter press and letting me get hands on experience with your guidance.

thanks
When starting out I would suggest not to buy primers in 1000 lot, bullets in bulk, large lbs of powder. Unless you have a very good knowledge of different components for other calibers and the particular firearms you will shoot, use, own etc. The component you buy in bulk will just make you shoot more and more!!!!! Oh nevermind

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When starting out I would suggest not to buy primers in 1000 lot, bullets in bulk, large lbs of powder. Unless you have a very good knowledge of different components for other calibers and the particular firearms you will shoot, use, own etc. The component you buy in bulk will just make you shoot more and more!!!!! Oh nevermind

Actually, you bring up a very good point. Why buy 1000 of any particular bullet or primer or case, or eight pounds of powder, until you know the load you have decided to try first is gonna' work out, especially if you start out loading for only one round? Buy in smaller quantities until you find the load that really works for you, then think about buying in bulk.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
So that’s how I ended up with 30 different powders!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made it for years with about 6 powders.

Then, the shortage came along and it was buy what was available, that could be made to work. Plus, the abundance of "new" powders.

With availability getting better, I'm trying to get back to 6-8.

But, hey, reloading is all about saving money, right?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on it. I just finished building a more sturdy bench, and moved it into the extra room in my house. I am ready to move my stuff in and get started.

Very nice Jake Perry.
It will be rewarding to say the least.
Did you get a reloading book or dies etc yet?
It would not hurt my feelings to drive out to you and help you out if you end up needing it.
I just want more people handloading good ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom