Need a truck! Comparisons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll try to be brief. I have a 2003 Chevy 1-ton 4x4 w/Duramax, 242,000 miles. I had some motor work done several years ago (changed a head), had to take it back to the shop for warranty work & they had it for 21 months. (I was driving a company truck, working 80-100 hrs/wk and didn't have time to fool with it.) Got it back, still lacks power it used to have & leaks a little bit of oil which it never did!

I work in the industrial (oil & gas) electrical field - inspector, construction superintendent, operations manager, etc... and may be taking a new job in Indiana for a while and need to haul my 5th wheel RV. It is a little mansion on wheels, over 42' long, toy-hauler (gotta take my Harley!) and I'm gonna need a truck to haul it and get to/from the jobsite. I don't care whether it's Chevy, Ford or Dodge - but wondering if there is any "simple" comparison out there to check towing capacities, hp, etc between the 3? Maybe a chart showing side-by-side or something similar? I've been driving Chevy since '99 but not too particular right now. I just want to get something capable and dependable. Everything I've found so far leans toward Chevy diesel as the best in towing and the wife gives me grief over Chevy - due to problems with my '03.

I have another truck, too - a 2011 Chevy 1/2-ton, 4x4 Z-71, ext cab. I want to trade both my current trucks in and get me something pretty quick. I may need to be on the shores of Lake Michigan by the end of the month. Any OSA members in the auto business?

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 2005 1500hd Sierra with the 6.0L/Allison tranny... It's been bulletproof for me. Still available in the 2500 series.

Also have a '12 2500 Duramax. Had a small issue with vibrating hoses/noises. Dealer finally fixed it, has become my major workhorse. GM regeared the tranny to run 75mph under 2000rpm so the mileage is also better than the last gen.

Cummins is a workhorse, but they only come in the dodge/sterling platform.

New powerstroke F-series have fallen flat since they won't ditch the problematic 7.3L technologies.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TwoForFlinching said:
New powerstroke F-series have fallen flat since they won't ditch the problematic 7.3L technologies.

They ditched the 7.3 almost 10 years ago lol
Then they went to an problematic 6.0 then an even worse 6.4
But non of those were Ford motors, they we all International.

Ford has it's own diesel now, the 6.7 which is completely different from anything before it. It's been out for about two years and so far has been pretty good.

But I'm a Chevy 6.0 fan, loved mine and will have another soon. I'm running a 2008 F250 with the V10 right now, decent motor but doesn't have the ballz the 6.0 did.
As far as new HD trucks, pick the prettiest one to you and a color you like cause they are all decent trucks. Some will have problems others won't.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I was never going to leave a dry, paved road, I'd seriously consider a Chevy. They'd be high on my list of 1/2 ton gas trucks. But I'm not a fan of IFS in heavy duty applications. Great ride, but a Duramax would be third on my list of diesels for any year except the 6.0L Powerstroke generation.

I've been considering upgrading to a newer diesel in the spring, but I'm undecided on what I'd buy. I'll probably look at a 2011+ Powerstroke first.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've driven all of the 2011-2012 one ton diesels and the Chevy was the best driving, pulling, feeling, running truck. But it was also the most expensive. The Ford was extremely nice inside being a king ranch edition. The dodge didn't seem near as nice as the Chevy and the Ford but the Cummins felt like it pulled a load better than the Ford.

The dodge was actually the cheapest one but was a crew cab instead of the mega cab and didn't have all the options possible that the others had.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
no clue about new trucks... but hands down best used truck will be 12v cummins. 94-98.5 ... right behind are 7.3 Fords with newer cabs like 2002 3/4 ton 7.3. if you are lucky enough to find a low miles one, expect to pay same as late models.

stay away from 6.0/6.4 fords, 24v cummins 98.5-2002... 2003- cummins went to the common rail engine, much improved. but still not good as the old 12v. but cabs are pretty dated.

transmissions are single common point of failure on diesel pickups. reason is the gross mismatch from motor or tranny. auto trannies can be made bulletproof, but very costly... not unusual for someone to spend $6k+ on a tranny. vs most manual trannies are more rugged.. not bullet proof, but rugged. easy to upgrade to full ceramic clutch to easily hold 450hp.

problems is ... it's relatively simple to bump most pickup truck diesels to 450hp+
NO free lunch ... NO stock transmission will survive that kind of punishment. that's why my 96 12v cummins is only pushing a modest 375hp with full ceramic clutch.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Used a Chevy Duramax 1T to move some equipment. Weight of load was well within range.

PIG. Not that nice an interior either but rode like a car. A truck for looking kewl in town?

Dodge. Best plant. Too bad rest of truck is poor Q.

Ford. Super Duties run and pull well and decent Q.

What about a Bobtail type for pulling something that size?

Latest posts

Top Bottom