Need a truck! Comparisons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate all the replies. My '03 Duramax is the 6.6l and hauled my RV with no problems...until I had a problem with my truck and had it in the shop! I would get 21mpg solo and 11mpg when towing. My RV is a Heartland Cyclone 3950 rated for 18,000 when full. I lived in it full time for a year in Wyoming and then a year in northeast Nebraska. Looks like I'll be fulltiming in it again...soon!

I'll sure look into the F450. New or used - makes me no matter. I just need something to do the job! I have even been considering a 5500 or F550. I just have to still be able to drive it daily to & from work, too!

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd find a lower mileage 7.3 powerstroke. But i'm a ford man.

Truth be told, that would be my approach if shopping for a diesel too, as I'm generally too cheap/frugal to buy a new or very late model car. It'd even take a nice clean 7.3 IDI if I could find one, though if in the OP's shoes I could definitely see wanting something newer for cross country travel.

Last edited:

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went hunting in Colorado a few years ago with a friend that had a 6.0 Chevy, he always fell behind on the steep mountains at altitude compared to my 2005 Dodge Ram QC,5.9 Cummins, 4x4 6spd. Now I'm running a Smarty Jr., Aeroturbine muffler, CFM intake and Ceramic clutch. The G-56 manual tranny is strong, just needs a better clutch. I still get over 20mpg highway and can tune anywhere from 365-425 hp.....runs great on a mild tune.

Not the best ride; but I do prefer the solid axle front end for durability.

I had a 2001 GMC Sierra Z71, it had numerous problems that had to be fixed. The 5.3 is not good for towing. It is a rev happy engine; but lacks low end torque. The front end of the truck is too squishy for any real off-roading. The truck did drive nicely as a daily driver though.
gosh, you dont say..... n/a gas to a turbocharged diesel. junky gm crap........

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The low mileage ones are up there, you're right.

This one looks like a pretty sweet truck (though you can't see the seats in the pics), with under 70k miles, but 19,900? Really?

That is straight up nuts for a plane-jane 2001. Buy a higher mileage 6.0 and have a little work done to it to make it bulletproof (EGR delete, new oil cooler, etc) and you can have a much newer nicer truck that will be just as tough and will outrun and outpull the 7.3 for the same money.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is straight up nuts for a plane-jane 2001. Buy a higher mileage 6.0 and have a little work done to it to make it bulletproof (EGR delete, new oil cooler, etc) and you can have a much newer nicer truck that will be just as tough and will outrun and outpull the 7.3 for the same money.

SHHHHHH. Let them keep buying worn out over pricec 7.3s and keep the good 6.0s to ourselves.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

This is true. We've been looking for another 7.3l Excursion with low miles just to "put away for safe keeping". Anything with 100,000 miles or less have all been $20k or higher.

Latest posts

Top Bottom