Need a truck! Comparisons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is true. We've been looking for another 7.3l Excursion with low miles just to "put away for safe keeping". Anything with 100,000 miles or less have all been $20k or higher.

Well, finding a 2002 Excursion 7.3 4x4 Lariat with under 100k is a tall order :D I know because I have been browsing casually for them. But yea, 20k is about the going rate. That's just too much money for that age even with lower mileage, even if it's holy grail of vehicles.

Even the ones pushing 180-200k are still 13-15k. And some of those are 2wd.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I was buying one simply for hauling I'd go with the Cummins.
Otherwise whichever you like.

I was thinking the same thing. Its kind of funny that when you consider Ford trucks ( F250-F550 ) have the Powerstroke, but when you get into their medium duty trucks (F650-up ) the Powerstroke is not available but the 6.7 Cummins is, the same Cummins they put in the Dodge trucks. So Ford does not consider the Powerstroke to be a real truck engine but the Cummins is?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, finding a 2002 Excursion 7.3 4x4 Lariat with under 100k is a tall order :D I know because I have been browsing casually for them. But yea, 20k is about the going rate. That's just too much money for that age even with lower mileage, even if it's holy grail of vehicles.

Even the ones pushing 180-200k are still 13-15k. And some of those are 2wd.

Yep, thought we had a first half 03 found with 7.3l, with 94,000 and were asking $17k. Was listed and sold the same day.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Its kind of funny that when you consider Ford trucks ( F250-F550 ) have the Powerstroke, but when you get into their medium duty trucks (F650-up ) the Powerstroke is not available but the 6.7 Cummins is, the same Cummins they put in the Dodge trucks. So Ford does not consider the Powerstroke to be a real truck engine but the Cummins is?

Actually, the medium duty trucks start at the Ford F450. Well, at least that is how they list them on Wikipedia and the RV forums.

To put something into perspective, some are forgetting what the OP wants to do with his truck. He has a 40' fifth wheel weighing 18,000 lbs. So, nothing less than a F350/3500 series truck will handle that size of trailer. When getting into a GVWR of a trailer of that weight, even the F350/3500 series trucks is iffy. Largely because when considering the gross weights of both the truck and trailer combined (GCVW), many trucks just won't handle it. Never go by what a dealer says is the "towing weight" of a truck. I've seen trucks go over their GCVW by trying to tow a trailer in the upper range of the "towing weight."

Now, if one wishes to have a rig where the load really overloads the truck when stopping, pray that one never has to do a panic stop.

plissken

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is straight up nuts for a plane-jane 2001. Buy a higher mileage 6.0 and have a little work done to it to make it bulletproof (EGR delete, new oil cooler, etc) and you can have a much newer nicer truck that will be just as tough and will outrun and outpull the 7.3 for the same money.

That right there. I have an old '97 F350 7.3L that I loved. But, my '06 6.0 has stolen my heart. It's a beast! I bulletproofed it and should probably sell my old 7.3, I never drive it.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, thought we had a first half 03 found with 7.3l, with 94,000 and were asking $17k. Was listed and sold the same day.

low mile 12v and 7.3 with modern cabs have been selling for ridiculous $$$ for quite some time.

took me 3 years to find mine.... 96 12v 5sp ext cab 4x4 with 67k miles ... popped on craigslist for $13k.. dropped everything and made a beeline. then still had to fight off someone that beat me there. pitched a ***** to seller that I was first in line. he agreed and made the other person wait...

96 12v was in close to new condition ... took one look and put a large deposit down... came back next day with balance and took her home. seller had just purchase a brand new Dodge diesel and repeatedly stated the 12v was stronger and that he regretted buying the new one.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chevy has the best unleaded powertrain and rides the smoothest, but will rust out in no time and oilfield roads will kill the suspension.

Dodge has the best diesel powertrain, but the bodies are junk.

Ford will hold up the best, built the toughest, but has the worst powertrain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom