Need a truck! Comparisons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have actually had 2 different Ford dealerships in the Tulsa area contact me trying to buy my 03 7.3 liter F250 from me. I have a friend who works at one of the dealerships, I contacted him as to why. They were offering me close to what I paid for my truck 4 years ago, but were going to mark it up about 3 grand and had a buyer already lined up in Colorado. I still have it, too hard to replace it. Plus my 13 year old son wants it when he turns 16.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
6.0 and 6.4 fords are junk. But if you dump 5k into one its a good to go. WTF .

Who said they are junk? Their primary issue is the oil cooler failures. But those are a result of improper coolant use. They would all still be running fine if everyone would have drained their Ford Gold coolant on day one and ran CAT EC-1 coolant. The problem is, they all have had the Ford Gold coolant in so long now that their oil coolers are either stopped up and have already been replaced or are about to need to be replaced. The 6.0's aren't junk and its not a bad design. Just bad coolant. And it sure doesn't take $5k to make them bulletproof.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chevy has the best unleaded powertrain and rides the smoothest, but will rust out in no time and oilfield roads will kill the suspension.

Dodge has the best diesel powertrain, but the bodies are junk.

Ford will hold up the best, built the toughest, but has the worst powertrain.

I'd take the current 6.7 Ppwerstroke over any other with the Duramax being a close second. I'd also take the Ecoboost over anything Dodge or Chevy have to offer in gas models.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Its kind of funny that when you consider Ford trucks ( F250-F550 ) have the Powerstroke, but when you get into their medium duty trucks (F650-up ) the Powerstroke is not available but the 6.7 Cummins is, the same Cummins they put in the Dodge trucks. So Ford does not consider the Powerstroke to be a real truck engine but the Cummins is?

both are real truck motors ... but Cummins is the only true medium duty motor used in pickup trucks. betcha my 3/4ton 12v Cummins could yank 22k+ lbs with no problems. pulling is not the problem, stopping is...

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK...I went with a 2009 Ford F450, King Ranch, 6.4l. I'll have to post some pics of it with my RV attached when I get some. I traded both Chevys in and gave them less than $10k cash. It is in excellent condition and feels good and tight when driving.

Now the bad part...my new job is in Indiana about 30 minutes from Chicago. The closest RV park available is less than 4 miles from the jobsite - in Illinois, the no-gun state! The closest one available in Indiana is over an hour's drive from the job!
:grumble: :gun1:

Latest posts

Top Bottom