Need advice for Spring Turkey hunting, public land, NE OK.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never hunted Turkey, but a young hunter has asked for my help. She wants to try for a turkey this spring. I figure public land would be the easiest way since I don't know anyone with land to ask for permission.

She is 20, has shot dove and quail and wants to try for a turkey, so we are going to research methods and how to call, etc.

Any recomendations for where to go?

Thanks

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Use a box call. If hunting public land, the biologists are usually great about helping folks out as far as knowing where the birds like to be. Early season will have more hunters and less cooperative birds imo. Midday hunts are under utilized imo, hens wander away from the toms and toms will often be very responsive looking to get back with the hens. Also, toms don't aways gobble like you'll see on YouTube, sometimes they just appear. Number 1 rule, when you think it's time to go or move locations, stay for 15 min longer. That's paid off countless times for me.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cookson WMA is open to spring turkey. However, bird numbers have been pretty low on the area for several years. Pressure is really high there since the SE region opens late the NE is flooded with those folks now. Birds on Cookson are true easterns so combine that with the public aspect and they are extra tough to hunt.

Cherokee WMA gets lots of pressure too. But, it consistently has better turkey numbers than Cookson, and has about 3x the acres. Usually, the area has decent hatches resulting in lots of jakes running around. Couple years ago 30+ jakes were harvested opening day alone. The restocking of birds consisted of rios so there is some hybridization due to that and being in eastern country.

Spavinaw is supposed to be good, but i know little about the area.

Heyburn usually holds birds as well.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cookson WMA is open to spring turkey. However, bird numbers have been pretty low on the area for several years. Pressure is really high there since the SE region opens late the NE is flooded with those folks now. Birds on Cookson are true easterns so combine that with the public aspect and they are extra tough to hunt.

Cherokee WMA gets lots of pressure too. But, it consistently has better turkey numbers than Cookson, and has about 3x the acres. Usually, the area has decent hatches resulting in lots of jakes running around. Couple years ago 30+ jakes were harvested opening day alone. The restocking of birds consisted of rios so there is some hybridization due to that and being in eastern country.

Spavinaw is supposed to be good, but i know little about the area.

Heyburn usually holds birds as well.

Good info, Thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom