Need advice from the legal folks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If a neighbor's dog jumps my fence and comes at me, will I get into any legal trouble if I shoot it? This happened to me this morning minus the shooting part. This dog has jumped my fence so many times its starting to see my yard as it's territory and is starting to get very aggressive. Cops have been called and the neighbor got a verbal. But that will do little if the dog gets off its chain again and decides to attack next time.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can kill him dead in his tracks!
I would be sure he dies on your property so there is no mistake.
Some video of the dog being aggressive towards you on your property would completely seal the deal. I would imagine the dog would be taken off his property if you showed video to authorities. That'd save a bullet and keep you off the news. People get weird even when you rightfully kill an animal. Legally they may not have a leg to stand on but it won't stop harassing phone calls and social media posts from abused animal advocates from all over the world. I know this because I've got a buddy goin through the whole deal right now for killing a dog that was killing his chickens. His trouble got compounded because the dog he killed, they were fostering for one of those rescue places.

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you really feeling threatened by the dog? Enough so to introduce all sorts of other difficulty in your life after shooting it?

We had an incident nearby a year or two ago. A fella shot a dog that was harassing his horses. He wasn't charged, but he went through a hell of a lot of grief. Just have to weigh your options. Good luck!

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If a neighbor's dog jumps my fence and comes at me, will I get into any legal trouble if I shoot it? This happened to me this morning minus the shooting part. This dog has jumped my fence so many times its starting to see my yard as it's territory and is starting to get very aggressive. Cops have been called and the neighbor got a verbal. But that will do little if the dog gets off its chain again and decides to attack next time.
Install a camera that covers your yard to cover your ass when you eventually have to shoot it

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Install a camera that covers your yard to cover your ass when you eventually have to shoot it

This I am tempted to do, just not sure which way I should go. I have a camera on my porch as part of Cox Home Automation. Sadly (yet) it doesn't have continuous recording, only does a 15 second clip if it triggers a rule based off motion. I could put in a 4 camera DVR system, but that would require money and for me to get into my attic (do enough of that at work).

I may just do as the cop suggested and keep some pepper spray near by. That or get a pitchfork and sharpen the tines to a good point.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call the cops when it happens. Document. We had a neighbor whose dog broke through boards on our fence several times, charged at my wife and son and then scooted out under a gap into another fence and out away. We sent the cops to their house after the 2nd time and they hid inside and wouldn't come to the door. I told the officer if their dog came in my yard and threatened myself or my family I would shoot it dead in a second and he told me he couldn't condone it, but I was legally allowed to do what I needed to do to protect my family.

Look at the stories we've read just in the last year about people being mauled to death even by their own dogs????

No way I'm going to tolerate someone else's aggressive dog terrorizing my family. No chance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom