Need advice/pointers on going sober

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just a thought, how about making a mixed drink but without alcohol? or a coke and rum for example with coke and additional soda water with ice just so it looks like coke and rum?

I actually started this thread a year ago today. I posted an update back on Page 10 that it’s all in the past now.

But I will say that I have been buying non alcoholic beer off and on this summer and it definitely hits the spot. At the end of the day, I just love the taste of cold beer, especially on a hot day!

It was a struggle at first but I don’t even think about it anymore. And when I do have a “real beer” or actual drink, it’s just one…..usually when I’m out in a date with the wifey or something special. I know some folks can’t even have that one drink, but I’ve learned to just enjoy the occasional drink.

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I actually started this thread a year ago today. I posted an update back on Page 10 that it’s all in the past now.

But I will say that I have been buying non alcoholic beer off and on this summer and it definitely hits the spot. At the end of the day, I just love the taste of cold beer, especially on a hot day!

It was a struggle at first but I don’t even think about it anymore. And when I do have a “real beer” or actual drink, it’s just one…..usually when I’m out in a date with the wifey or something special. I know some folks can’t even have that one drink, but I’ve learned to just enjoy the occasional drink.
I never been much of a drinker myself, got that injun blood in me, saw my grandparents kill themselves with alcohol.

Watched my family die off one by one with yellow skin in their coffins.

However I got a back injury, they offered me percs and other opiates. I refused, seen that and what it does too, watched many people I grown up with die from that.

Seen them quit too, that cold turkey stuff can kill you man, ever seen a real alcoholic wake up and shaking so bad they can't even hold their cup till they get some "medicine" in them?

You do you, take the time sir. Do it at your own pace, and be happy with yourself and who you are a year later.

Frank Pope

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One year ago today I was filling up the cooler and getting ready to have one of the worst days of my life! I got hammered drunk and ruined my 6 year olds birthday. It’s still something he brings up on occasion unfortunately. I ended up sleeping in my truck, and then spending sometime staying with my parents because of these choices.

I can proudly say that one year later, I have put all that behind me. I no longer drink regularly. A beer here and there while at dinner is the most I’ll ever have now and usually they are months apart.

My marriage is the best it’s ever been and I fall more in love with my wife every single day. My relationship with the kids is better than ever also. I still make mistakes but overall, I’m just the best version of Kyle I’ve ever been. And it’s all because I put down the beer and booze behind me.

If any of you are struggling with it, please know you can do it and won’t ever regret it. I’m happy to lend an ear if you need help as well!

Thanks again to all my OSA friends that helped me through this and kept me in your thoughts and prayers!
As they say in the program, it only works if you work it, good job.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone has their advice. It’s in you to control what you do. I my self grew up with an alcoholic father. He died from it a few years ago. I had a drink off and on when I was young. After going and picking my father up from jail. I said then I will not be like that. I have not had a drink sense. Sometimes you just have to stay away from that tell you can start reintroducing your self to it again. I do mean start drinking. I mean stay away from places that serve or keep your self away even it mean leaving a special party. What’s being sober worth to you? That’s a question you’re going to have to answer. I my self have my own Demons I deal with. I stay away and I have a hobby that takes most of my money.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom