Need advice/pointers on going sober

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you thinking of 'Ray' maybe? I don't know a 'Ron.'

I'm pretty sure it was Ron. June of 2014.

Either way, VH really helped my son, and he stayed clean for a few months after that. Best time of my life with him as an adult. He couldn't stay with it though and he's been gone since 2017.

I drive by VH on my way through Cushing on the way to deer woods. I always remember that, and I'm grateful he got something out of it.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to give a shout out to everyone who has checked in on me and offered assistance. It’s been one month today and haven’t looked back at all. My wife has been incredibly supportive and things on the home front are getting better every day.

Good job! Keep at it. You got this!

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You forgot to thank the one person that makes this a go or a no go. That's you buddy. We can all be wonderful, caring, tenders, watchers, come by everyday and check on you Saints but none of us has the ability to fix you but you.
I pray for you every night. Been there done that. I had to reach down and check that I still had a couple and take care of business. It was harder to make reasons to drink than it was to just quit drinking.
Seemed like I would spend a million reasons to (I hate this term) fall of the wagon. I looked and worked at it. When I finally figured out I wanted to fail because I wanted to drink, things kind of changed in my head. Remember your brain has to rewire itself to be the none drinker. It's true. You have to let yourself become the person you are. Not the guy you think you are, but the person you are. It'll be pretty cool too.
One of the hardest things to get past is that excuse of "I don't know how to act sober or I don't know who the sober me is" ********. You will never be that guy. None of us are the same guy we were years ago. Even a few years ago. Time changes who you are. Drink just blurs a few of the lines. That's ok. The trail will find you.
So....next time you think you need to thank someone....Start with YOU

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, you gotta properly deal with others drinking around you...don't let it suck u back in. When I quit dipping the first time, I took a new job about a year later and was around a bunch of like-minded guys who all dipped at work. One of them I previously golfed with on occasion about 5yrs prior and we dipped while golfing too...so it was indirect peer pressure to re-associate with that guy and I eventually caved in. You have to mentally flip a switch just like a born again Christian and leave that part of the old you behind. Thankfully I conquered dip 3yrs ago.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really good news. So what did you do to help you not drink?
Honestly dude…..I just quit. I wasn’t a heavy/frequent drinker. Just drank a lot when I did drink. Been around friends drinking and stuff and no issues. Honestly it being out in the open for friends and family has kinda made me accountable to myself etc.

I quit the exact same way with dip. I just stopped one day.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate your honesty and I had a feeling that was the situation and the reason I asked the question. There is a saying I’ve found sound advice. If you always do what you always did you’ll always get what you always got. If you find you keep repeating the same mistakes I’d like to suggest you try something different. Hopefully you’re just a regular guy that made some stupid decisions and this is all behind you. Now if that isn’t the case and sometime down the road you find yourself shaking your head because once again you’re in the same mess don’t be ashamed to come back here and ask for help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom