Need advice/pointers on going sober

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’ve post a few things here and there on OSA about my drinking but it finally came to a head last night. I won’t go into all the details but it’s best to just stop drinking. I’m not an alcoholic by definition but I just can’t handle it anymore. I might have a beer here and there but when we get in social settings, I just can’t handle moderating myself. Once I let the train start rollin, I just let it keep on rolling.

Started to get bad last year and quit for awhile then tried to moderate my intake. Works for the most part but I’m just to the point now where I’ve got to hang it up. Doesn’t matter how good I can do most of the time if I still F up on occasion. Enjoying an ice cold beer just isn’t worth the potential to lose my family.

I don’t think it will be a big deal to cut it out day to day but it’s hard in social settings. Any advice or anything of that nature would be much appreciated!

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Enjoying an ice cold beer just isn’t worth the potential to lose my family.

And that's just it.
Is it worth losing your family? Is it worth losing your Second Amendment rights? Do you wanna go to prison? Can you afford the legal fees?
and on and on...

you know what you need to do, do it.

V98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not the guy to give advice to anyone regarding drinking. I do know what has worked for me.

I made it very public knowledge that I was giving up alcohol. I told my family, coworkers, friends and business associates.

Once I made that commitment public it gave me the determination I needed to stop. Every time I thought about grabbing a drink all I could think about was what all those folks would think of me.

When I am out and about I order ginger beer. Every bar and restaurant has ginger beer for making mules.

I also enjoy Heineken Zero and Bud Zero when I’m at the lake or cooking out. I don’t recommend it unless you’re sure it won’t lead to drinking alcohol. I guess I’m one of those guys that just likes the taste of cold beer in the summer.

I only had one person that tried to convince me that I should have a drink knowing my commitment. That person is no longer part of my circle. You may have to cut a few people off. Most will respect your decision and support it.

AA meetings can help if you find the right group. I know it helped me when I started down this path.

Best of luck on your journey. It has to be your decision, your journey and ultimately your success or failure.

🙏🏼

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I'm reading into it, you'll need to remove yourself from those social settings. Another words your going to have to change the current lifestyle. Or by what I read into it the alcohol is going to change it for you. Not likely changes to your liking either. I'm quite sure you already know this . Trouble is it's easier said than done. Again you already know this. I'm guessing you need more hobby time, and more time with the family you have . If you have a wife and kids then your a lucky sob and need to recognize that. Give the woman more love, give the kids more time . TIME is so very important and shouldn't be wasted. As I've told the kids , there's no rewind in life.
Consider life a gift and family as a bonus prize. Go to church, read the bible . We'll pray for your strength to woop this.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After my wife died in 2013, I told myself to stay sober so I didnt get stupid from grief. I did good. During covid I drank top shelf bourbon with honey and hot lemonade, it really helped, and I kept things sensible. Last March my grandaughters suicide made me have to take sobriety serious again as I needed to help my grieving son in law stay sober too. I havent drank since then until last week when I had a music gig and sipping on a little boubon surè helps my vocal cords. I am staying sensible, my son in law is trying to do good too.
Good luck with it, you have friends here at OSA, many of us have experiences with sobriety, good and bad, learn how to be in control of your urges

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not the guy to give advice to anyone regarding drinking. I do know what has worked for me.

I made it very public knowledge that I was giving up alcohol. I told my family, coworkers, friends and business associates.

Once I made that commitment public it gave me the determination I needed to stop. Every time I thought about grabbing a drink all I could think about was what all those folks would think of me.

When I am out and about I order ginger beer. Every bar and restaurant has ginger beer for making mules.

I also enjoy Heineken Zero and Bud Zero when I’m at the lake or cooking out. I don’t recommend it unless you’re sure it won’t lead to drinking alcohol. I guess I’m one of those guys that just likes the taste of cold beer in the summer.

I only had one person that tried to convince me that I should have a drink knowing my commitment. That person is no longer part of my circle. You may have to cut a few people off. Most will respect your decision and support it.

AA meetings can help if you find the right group. I know it helped me when I started down this path.

Best of luck on your journey. It has to be your decision, your journey and ultimately your success or failure.

🙏🏼
Very well said! I think I shared my story here years ago so I will not repeat it, but what you said is spot on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom