Need advice/pointers on going sober

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive been lucky. I drank a lot up until my 30's. And i do like the taste of beer, if could find a easy way to get near beer i probably would keep some around. And i have gallons of whiskey here. I just have to almost force myself to mix a drink and finish it. I dont crave it. I dont need it. I do like an occasional mixed drink. I guess i dont have an addictive personality.

But I do know from history. If you do something that really ticks off the wife. And its something that YOU can stop doing or fix it. refer back to the old rule.. Happy wife = Happy LIFE.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good on you for making the decision to stop before things got out of control. Alcohol ruined my childhood having been raised by 2 violent alcoholic parents I've seen first hand the damage it can inflict on a family. I can't give advice since I don't drink but I'll give you all the encouragement I can

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I’ve post a few things here and there on OSA about my drinking but it finally came to a head last night. I won’t go into all the details but it’s best to just stop drinking. I’m not an alcoholic by definition but I just can’t handle it anymore. I might have a beer here and there but when we get in social settings, I just can’t handle moderating myself. Once I let the train start rollin, I just let it keep on rolling.

Started to get bad last year and quit for awhile then tried to moderate my intake. Works for the most part but I’m just to the point now where I’ve got to hang it up. Doesn’t matter how good I can do most of the time if I still F up on occasion. Enjoying an ice cold beer just isn’t worth the potential to lose my family.

I don’t think it will be a big deal to cut it out day to day but it’s hard in social settings. Any advice or anything of that nature would be much appreciated!
Find something you'd rather spend the money on, and save it for that. Get rid of what booze you have, and if you must drink on social occasions, order "Virgin" drinks. A coke, instead of rum& coke, etc. I was able to limit my intake to three drinks a night when I was drinking, and that only once a month, but I was never really into drinking, and didn't actually care for the taste of most liquor. I was also pretty broke. What worked for me may not help you as much, or at all. I used the "spend the money on other things" to quit smoking, rather than drinking. You may need to find a different crowd to hang out with, too. You're going to have to find your own solution, since we're all different, but it's good that you recognize a problem. Start doing what seems good to you to help you solve your problem. Good luck, and God bless!

Bill

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I’ve post a few things here and there on OSA about my drinking but it finally came to a head last night. I won’t go into all the details but it’s best to just stop drinking. I’m not an alcoholic by definition but I just can’t handle it anymore. I might have a beer here and there but when we get in social settings, I just can’t handle moderating myself. Once I let the train start rollin, I just let it keep on rolling.

Started to get bad last year and quit for awhile then tried to moderate my intake. Works for the most part but I’m just to the point now where I’ve got to hang it up. Doesn’t matter how good I can do most of the time if I still F up on occasion. Enjoying an ice cold beer just isn’t worth the potential to lose my family.

I don’t think it will be a big deal to cut it out day to day but it’s hard in social settings. Any advice or anything of that nature would be much appreciated!
I lived that life for decades. Great job, great travel and always free food and drink. Even at home I looked forward to a drink to relax. Then I had to have a few at golf or watching the game. Whatever the excuse. And I liked drinking. Had a wake up call that could have cost me everything. So I quit…kinda. Drank a bit but then, after a night of being over served, I quit. No cheating or thinking a drink won’t hurt I quit. The hard part was being in the same work environment like before. I was afraid I didn’t know who I was sober. How would I be able to learn who I was. I had no idea.
Sucked for a bit. Even went to AA, but that’s not for me. I had to do it. No excuses like **** was hard that day. I really quit.
That’s been 11 years ago. I’m good. I have a great time with my friends. I’m headed to nyc right now and will have free drinks flowing, I just won’t.
I miss it now and then , but not much and I don’t crave it.
So quit or stop playing that game of “oops I slipped and fell off the wagon”. That’s just weak. Quit or die. Just make up your mind

RidgeRunner45-70

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been sober 12 years Nov 7. I did a stay in a detox center, then did AA daily for nearly a year. I surrendered everything over to God as I was powerless to control it. I pray, every hour I am awake every single day. It has gotten easier over the years but some times I discover another trigger. I have had to separate myself from certain social events, certain people, and certain physical locations. My sobriety is worth more to me than anything else. Once you decide that your sobriety is worth more than anything, you are then ready to start this journey. Pray!

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I quit dipping a few times over my ~20yr run of it, and once for two full years but went back to it. When I finally quit, I waited until I was ready to quit, and asked God for help and He delivered me. I went off cold turkey 3yrs ago and haven't returned.

For any addiction, you have to find replacements. It is my understanding that AA becomes the new addiction and people hold each other accountable and hang out together and such. I've never had to do that, but that's what I was told by someone who did it.

If you don't go that route, get you a new hobby...I suggest airguns. Get some flavored tooth picks or some gum and take it with you in social settings. But most importantly, decide this is what you want, focus on your family, and most importantly, have faith and genuinely ask God for help.

EDIT: you basically need to replace the dopamine hit that alcohol gives you. Hiking, building a custom Ruger 10/22, modifying a truck or Jeep or fast car, trying some new recipies and cooking some good food, playing spades with the family, etc. Find stuff that gives you joy or a sense of accomplishment to replace the booze.

Last edited:

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good for you. A good friend of mine told me he was quitting on Saturday. I am overjoyed.

I give thanks to God often that I do not have an addictive personality and that the natural chemicals right in my brain.

Just this morning, I drove through an area west of downtown OKC and lost count of the homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk or pushing a cart with all their belongings.

Yes, I thank God for the gifts he has given me and as we all know - the BEST gifts cannot be bought.

I wish all of you / us well in your / our journey. Be humble and be safe.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like another post said, I just like ice cold beer. I can moderate pretty well, but like I told my wife if it only works 90% of the time, it’s not working at all. Beer is tasty but it’s just not worth the risk.

I’m determined this time to stick to it this time. I doubt I struggle with cravings etc but I’ll have to avoid some social situations for awhile.

I’m the same way with coffee…..I love it and always drink too much. luckily it just results in the jitters some days!
I also used coffee to quit drinking. I havent had a sip of alcohol in 8 years and I thank my decision every morning I get up without a headache. Like you, it was a decision between having my family or having alcohol. It's really a no-brainer.
It might sound strange, but I used three distractions mostly when stopping. I drank a lot of coffee, ate a lot of spicy food, and took a lot of showers. Whatever you can do to get it off your mind.

I've been able to afford a lot more guns and fishing gear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom