Need advice/pointers on going sober

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't give much advice because I have never had an issue with drinking, but just
Just wanted to give a shout out to everyone who has checked in on me and offered assistance. It’s been one month today and haven’t looked back at all. My wife has been incredibly supportive and things on the home front are getting better every day.
Congratulations, you got this!

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One year ago today I was filling up the cooler and getting ready to have one of the worst days of my life! I got hammered drunk and ruined my 6 year olds birthday. It’s still something he brings up on occasion unfortunately. I ended up sleeping in my truck, and then spending sometime staying with my parents because of these choices.

I can proudly say that one year later, I have put all that behind me. I no longer drink regularly. A beer here and there while at dinner is the most I’ll ever have now and usually they are months apart.

My marriage is the best it’s ever been and I fall more in love with my wife every single day. My relationship with the kids is better than ever also. I still make mistakes but overall, I’m just the best version of Kyle I’ve ever been. And it’s all because I put down the beer and booze behind me.

If any of you are struggling with it, please know you can do it and won’t ever regret it. I’m happy to lend an ear if you need help as well!

Thanks again to all my OSA friends that helped me through this and kept me in your thoughts and prayers!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One year ago today I was filling up the cooler and getting ready to have one of the worst days of my life! I got hammered drunk and ruined my 6 year olds birthday. It’s still something he brings up on occasion unfortunately. I ended up sleeping in my truck, and then spending sometime staying with my parents because of these choices.

I can proudly say that one year later, I have put all that behind me. I no longer drink regularly. A beer here and there while at dinner is the most I’ll ever have now and usually they are months apart.

My marriage is the best it’s ever been and I fall more in love with my wife every single day. My relationship with the kids is better than ever also. I still make mistakes but overall, I’m just the best version of Kyle I’ve ever been. And it’s all because I put down the beer and booze behind me.

If any of you are struggling with it, please know you can do it and won’t ever regret it. I’m happy to lend an ear if you need help as well!

Thanks again to all my OSA friends that helped me through this and kept me in your thoughts and prayers!
Congrats man. I am proud of you!

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Great job!

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Damn dude, you have done it! You’ll always fight it, but your strength to do so will grow each day too! Stay the course! Help others that were in that same boat you were in a year ago!

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quit hanging out with other drunks
Dont enable yourself or let others enable you
Spend time walking barefoot outdoors, you can shed negative feelings by grounding
Thank God you actually recognize it is a problem.
Idol hands are the devil's workshop, stay busy helping anyone who needs it
Be humble enough to ask for the help you need no matter what

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It takes a wakeup call for it to finally hit home. It did with me. Christmas eve eight years ago, I had been drinking bourbon for several hours and my son and I got into a verbal disagreement. As we all know, alcohol makes a weak man stronger. Words were spoken that I can never take back. I ruined Christmas eve for everyone. I haven't had a drink since. I apologized to my son first and then the family. It still brings tears to my eyes when I talk or think about it. Congratulations on your decision!

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats man. I went through a 12 step program through celebrate recovery. Different thing than alcohol but still the same concept. Bring the issue into the light so people know about it and have an accountability team. And it’s always one day at a time. Proud of you!

Latest posts

Top Bottom