Need Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to the SE and am going pretty blind into alot of places. Today I went to a spot i saw a good rub a few weeks ago. It's public land. It's in a saddle where it is open and nice grass. Timber pine to the east, steep drop to a creek on the west. North and south are about 50-100 feet higher in elevation than the grassy patch.

At 9 this morning I saw a nice buck walk through there. He approached from the east. He was about 50 yards out, which is out of bow range for me. He stopped once of twice in the grassy areas but never fed or settled down. He moved west and hopped down to the creek area.

I was set up for south wind. But tomorrow the wind should reverse and come from the North. (supposedly).There are good trees on the other side of the saddle, so i could play the wind right. Should i go tomorrow again? I probably wont be out again for at least a week. I dont want to pressure him too much though.

Go or no go?

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go! Public land deer don’t spook to scent nearly as easy as a private land deer in my experience. I hunt primarily public land and feel like the deer are almost used to human scent because there’s people out there all the time. Plus, Snowcamo is right. If you aren’t hunting him then someone else is. Chances are you’re not the only person who’s seen him.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't see squat while in the stand. But based on the shooting patterns i was hearing, no one was seeing any till about 11.
Funny thing is i got out of my stand a little early. It was raining and i found a pretty dry spot under three oaks standing close together. My eyes decided they needed some rest. When they decided they had rested enough, I saw a little 6pt standing 10 feet in front of me. He was eating and not minding me one bit. my bow was at my side. Buckaroo saw some movement, did a double take, and walked off briskly. LOL

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A bad day in the stand is better than not in there at all! Hunting new places can take awhile to learn and new public places can be a pain sometimes!

I've recently started trying some new places in addition to my old. I frequently keep telling myself, should have went where you know they go through. I always want to find that better spot though!

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A bad day in the stand is better than not in there at all! Hunting new places can take awhile to learn and new public places can be a pain sometimes!

I've recently started trying some new places in addition to my old. I frequently keep telling myself, should have went where you know they go through. I always want to find that better spot though!

Man I do the same thing. Always scouting for a “better” spot. Wasting time usually.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man I do the same thing. Always scouting for a “better” spot. Wasting time usually.
I know this is about another sport, but it applies.
Back in the day, I was into tournament bass fishing in a big way.
Biggest motor and fastest boat allowed.
The "grass was always greenest" around the next cove, so I'd whip the water for a bit with a lure, blast and go to the next hotspot, never learning to fish the water in the cove I was in.

The clue to fishing or hunting deer is to learn the area your hunting intimately, and learn the deer patterns in that area. You can have several stand locations in that area to play the wind, but learn your deer habits in the area your hunting and quit running all over the country looking for the holy grail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom