Need an education on 9mm reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's where I read about the breech face.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/147881-small-magnum-primers-for-9mm/
post in the above thread then links to photos in this thread:
https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/...-weak-9mm-loads/?tab=comments#comment-1642766

They are claiming it is because they were using magnum primers with weak loads. I'm not sure how that'd do it, but see for yourself. There are differing opinions on the thread. The only one that sounds like the person knows what they are talking about dispels their claim that they damage the breech face, and states that it has to do with worn out primer pockets. It's basically just like a Ford vs. Chevy debate!
View attachment 167460 View attachment 167461
I've slept many times since I was reading about this, but I think it goes to USPSA open guns. Some builders used to and maybe still do recommend rifle primers in hot overloaded .38 Super to make major PF. They they are a thicker cup material or a harder cup material or maybe both depending on brand. If you back off the pressure they won't seal and you get erosion like this. It doesn't take many rounds to get the damage you see here either. The burning gasses under the pressures generated while the bullet is still in the barrel and traveling down it are at almost plasma temps, at least that's the theory I seem to remember. A few rounds with leaky primers will do considerable damage. I suspect people just took for granted that you can interchange them and you see what can happen.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've slept many times since I was reading about this, but I think it goes to USPSA open guns. Some builders used to and maybe still do recommend rifle primers in hot overloaded .38 Super to make major PF. They they are a thicker cup material or a harder cup material or maybe both depending on brand. If you back off the pressure they won't seal and you get erosion like this. It doesn't take many rounds to get the damage you see here either. The burning gasses under the pressures generated while the bullet is still in the barrel and traveling down it are at almost plasma temps, at least that's the theory I seem to remember. A few rounds with leaky primers will do considerable damage. I suspect people just took for granted that you can interchange them and you see what can happen.
Hence the reason for using magnum primers at magnum pressures.
I'll have to admit using SMR primers in the past when primers didn't exist on the open market during one of the shortage years. Never saw the erosion, but I can possibly see it happening with over sized primer pockets and the scenario you offered.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hence the reason for using magnum primers at magnum pressures.
I'll have to admit using SMR primers in the past when primers didn't exist on the open market during one of the shortage years. Never saw the erosion, but I can possibly see it happening with over sized primer pockets and the scenario you offered.
I think in .38 Super, 9mm and .40 you'd be perfectly fine. They are all high pressure rounds at about 35,000 PSI. .38SPL and 45ACP are completely different animals and well less than 20,000. I think .45+P is what 20k? Loading ammo for a match on the upcoming weekend and all we have are rifle or magnum primers. We've probably all done it at one time or another and if it's those 3 certain popular calibers it's not going to bother anything, but if we do it on those other two. Oops...

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well it's official, I'm now making 9's. Got the first 50 done tonight after getting the press re-setup and everything dialed in.

First loads:
Xtreme - Copper Plated RN - 9mm - 124gr
Hodgdon CFE-Pistol - 4.4gr to 4.8gr (10 at each level)
COAL - 1.150"
Primers - Fed #100

Looking forward to getting to the range and getting some chrono data.

2.jpg 1.JPG

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it's official, I'm now making 9's. Got the first 50 done tonight after getting the press re-setup and everything dialed in.

First loads:
Xtreme - Copper Plated RN - 9mm - 124gr
Hodgdon CFE-Pistol - 4.4gr to 4.8gr (10 at each level)
COAL - 1.150"
Primers - Fed #100

Looking forward to getting to the range and getting some chrono data.

View attachment 167795 View attachment 167794
One thing I like to do as I had a couple rounds with loose primers fall out before in transport. Now I load the rounds in 50ct shell holders like the ones from store bought ammo. Then I put them back to back and shake the 50 rounds a few times. Then have a quick look at them upside down for any high primers or issues. I was embarrassed as heck one time had a buddy shooting some of my ammo and then there was one that didn't fire. There was no primer in one. Come to find out it was at the bottom of the container. I ended up having 2 primers fall smooth out of rounds early on before I started checking for that.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 167853
speaking of 9mm, got a fresh case delivered today!

Is this from precision delta? I don’t see an option for a 9mm lead bullet on their web site. Any additional info or a link would be appreciated.
Are those 147 or 124 grain? And do you mind if I ask why You went with the lead and not coated? I have loaded the 9mm coated from summers enterprises and had very good results.

Latest posts

Top Bottom