Need clarification about shotgun barrel length

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know the law states that a shotgun barrel has to be a minimum of 18 inches. Does that mean 18 inches of visible barrel when installed on the shotgun receiver or just a total of 18 inches regardless of how long the visible portion of the barrel measures. My elderly dad has an old 12 gauge that was shortened many years ago by a gunsmith. The visible part of the barrel is around 17 1/4 inches but the entire length of the barrel is 18 inches. A deputy has told him that it’s not a legal gun. I’d appreciate any input.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best advice? Find ya a new barrel. I’ve always aired on the side of caution when shortening and shortened to 18 1/2 showing just so there’s no question. And truly the only correct answer is it depends on who’s measuring the gun. I’ve had em measure what’s showing and I’ve had them measure from the actual back of the barrel.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On second thought, form 1 it.

1643754772018.png

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On second thought, form 1 it.
The shotgun I was asking about is my dad’s gun who is now in his 80’s. He probably couldn’t keep his balance now if he had to shoot it with an 18” barrel. If it was “form 1’d”, it would probably knock him into the next county when he shot it

Latest posts

Top Bottom