Need Deer Feeder Advice - need big and dependable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to buy my first deer feeder. Will be located near Chekotah. Primary goal is attracting deer, including doe, for hunting success by myself and two sons. Since I live about 1000 miles away, it needs to have a large capacity and be super dependable. Made in the USA is a must. I’m presently leaning toward All Seasons Feeders (ASF) 1000 lb. broadcast (corn) feeder or a ASF 1000 lb. electric (solar) protein feeder. Either will be surrounded by T-posts and hog panels to hopefully keep the hogs out. I’ve been warned not to get a plastic feeder (like some sold by Boss Buck) due to squirrel damage. TIA for the advice based on your experience.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m 500 miles from my place in NW OK, and I’ve got two 1000# Boss Buck protein feeders with Hammer timers on them. As for corn feeders, a full 55 gallon drum will run for months when set at 3 seconds twice a day.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m 500 miles from my place in NW OK, and I’ve got two 1000# Boss Buck protein feeders with Hammer timers on them. As for corn feeders, a full 55 gallon drum will run for months when set at 3 seconds twice a day.
Thanks for the recommendations! Boss Buck will be on the list if I gain hope of thwarting the squirrels.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As retrieverman said, a 55 gallon drum will last for months with a short throw period that will keep them coming in reliably.
I've lately been on a campaign among hunting forums to make sure the thrower is protected by a cage to prevent deer from licking the spinner or raccoons from robbing it.
Using the same time, 7 seconds in the am, 4 seconds in the pm, my 55 gallon drum would last about three weeks without the cage. Lasts almost 6 weeks with the cage. Makes that much difference.
https://www.amazon.com/Highwild-Fee...refix=deer+feeder+spinner+cage,aps,112&sr=8-2
I have 4 of them and swear to their effectiveness

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1F6047C3-A641-40B9-9D44-8DD8E2E055FC.jpeg

600 lb Boss Buck feeder with varmint cage and solar charger. the timer and spinner have been as good or better than any other feeder I’ve had.

I don’t have a hog problem so left off one section of legs. With the other section of legs, the varmint cage is about head high. I drive T posts at each leg and tie them off for added support and stability. I have never had a problem with moisture in any of the 3 feeders I’ve got.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As retrieverman said, a 55 gallon drum will last for months with a short throw period that will keep them coming in reliably.
I've lately been on a campaign among hunting forums to make sure the thrower is protected by a cage to prevent deer from licking the spinner or raccoons from robbing it.
Using the same time, 7 seconds in the am, 4 seconds in the pm, my 55 gallon drum would last about three weeks without the cage. Lasts almost 6 weeks with the cage. Makes that much difference.
https://www.amazon.com/Highwild-Fee...refix=deer+feeder+spinner+cage,aps,112&sr=8-2
I have 4 of them and swear to their effectiveness
I agree a cage to protect tongues and block paws is a must. Also thinking a caged broadcast feeder might be safer than a timed protein feeder as viral, bacterial, or prion diseases could be transmitted from the feeding trays or ports. Whereas, there might be more “feeding distancing”, and clearer zones of fire if the deer were more dispersed while eating corn off of the ground.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree a cage to protect tongues and block paws is a must. Also thinking a caged broadcast feeder might be safer than a timed protein feeder as viral, bacterial, or prion diseases could be transmitted from the feeding trays or ports. Whereas, there might be more “feeding distancing”, and clearer zones of fire if the deer were more dispersed while eating corn off of the ground.
Good thinking!

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
600 lb Boss Buck feeder with varmint cage and solar charger. the timer and spinner have been as good or better than any other feeder I’ve had.

I don’t have a hog problem so left off one section of legs. With the other section of legs, the varmint cage is about head high. I drive T posts at each leg and tie them off for added support and stability. I have never had a problem with moisture in any of the 3 feeders I’ve got.
Thanks for another Boss Buck endorsement and installation tips. Who knows, maybe I’ll go with two different mid-size (600 lb-ish) and see which works the best in the area. Great photo!

Latest posts

Top Bottom