1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Need help deciding on 1/2 MOA rifle less than $2000

Discussion in 'Rifle & Shotgun Discussion' started by Osage48, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Osage48

Osage48 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I am interested in buying a rifle that consistently shoots in the 1/2 moa range and doesn't weigh too much to carry hunting. I am considering the 6.5 Creedmoor as I have larger calibers and I am getting tired of the excessive concussion most of these generate after shooting several rounds off a bench. I am really not into the cheaper rifles even though I am aware of how good some of the under $600 rifles shoot.

I have looked at Kimber, Christensen and others but not sure which one I like. I also do not know any stores that carry rifles in price range in which I am looking. Help would be appreciated.

2. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    blake711 likes this.
  3. blake711

blake711 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Cowcatcher likes this.
  4. amcardon

amcardon Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    If optics aren't included, I'd look into a barreled bighorn origin action (like from PVA or Keystone Accuracy) then pick your stock/chassis...

5. Grendelshooter

Grendelshooter Marksman

This thread is relevant to my interests.

I keep mulling it over in my head but how do you judge if it’s truly a .5MOA rifle?
    Manufacturers can say what they want but who’s to say?

Ive been eyeballing the (admittedly hideous) Daniel defense Delta 5. A precision rifle that carries like a bolt gun but has the ability to swap barrels like an AR. Right at the $2k mark though.

6. chazroh

chazroh Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The seekins havak is a pretty good option

7. Jcann

Jcann Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The Snipershide Ashbury is a fine choice as well as a Tikka T3x CTR. A Tikka will generally shoot a little slower and has a longer throat. The Ashbury may not be what your looking for if you want a traditional stock. If you want a chassis, there are many to choose from for a Tikka. Both have a threaded muzzle with thread protector for suppressor/muzzle brake and both will shoot 1/2 MOA or better with proper ammo. Now, proper ammo may or may not be store bought ammo and, not all "match grade" ammo will shoot 1/2 MOA out of your particular rifle.

My Tikka will shoot sub 1/2 MOA with my reloads but I have never tried store bought ammo. I reload and haven't bought rifle ammo for over 10 years. If I want a chassis or Manners composite stock there are many to choose from. With a YoDave trigger spring my trigger brakes safely at ~1.5lbs and I can even go lower. If I want to change the bolt handle its no problem there are many of those to choose from as well.

Ashbury is <$2,000 chassis system
    Tikka T3X Tactical A1 is $1,798 chassis system
    Tikka T3X CTR is $998 traditional stock

indi and Cowcatcher like this.
  8. surjimmy

surjimmy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Tikka

9. slas

slas Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'm a Tikka fan also. I took a stock 260 Forrest ($630) and put pillars and bedded it, modified my magazine for longer hand loads, replaced most of the plastic with metal, adjusted the stock trigger as low as it would go, put a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 on it and can shoot 1/2 moa all day, usually better. I've thought about replacing the stock with a manners or similar but when something just works, I generally just leave it alone. Plus, you have all that additional money to put toward the best glass you can afford.

I also have a Cooper Model 52 280 AI ($2000) that was a lot more money than the Tikka and didn't require all the modifications to shoot as well as the Tikka.....So out of the box the Cooper wins, but truth be told....I love that Tikka and have a hard time leaving it home when I head out for a deer hunt.

10. Snattlerake

Snattlerake Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%