Need help deciding on 1/2 MOA rifle less than $2000

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't mean this to be insulting, but the first question is: "Can you shoot 1/2moa groups?" I hate to admit it, but I highly doubt I could achieve 1/2moa with any rifle. A few years ago, maybe. Now, no.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't mean this to be insulting, but the first question is: "Can you shoot 1/2moa groups?" I hate to admit it, but I highly doubt I could achieve 1/2moa with any rifle. A few years ago, maybe. Now, no.
So I have to agree with that. Also the thought has crossed my mind what are you hunting that requires half MOA?

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not that you have to hit a particular hair on an animal as to why you need to shoot 1/2 moa. It's because as you shoot further out that 1/2 moa starts to open up. If the rifle can do it and the shooter can consistently do it then you can reach further out with confidence. If a rifle shoots 1.5-1.75 moa at 100 yards that's theoretically a large group at 500 yards. A good practice is shooting a dot drill. For hunting I don't see adding the speed factor to it but it's good practice.

Osage48

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pulp, Yours is a good question and I take no offense. I have done a lot of shooting during my life. I am now retired. At one time I would have said no problem shooting as good as the rifle. Now I feel most of the time I still can using a cradle off a bench, but for sure not without a substantial rest. I have a steel range on my property and can shoot out to probably a mile. So far I only shoot out to 600 yards. Take a look at the attached picture. It is a steel silhouette at 600 yards with about a 2" paint circle in the middle. The reason I want a rifle to shoot to 0.5 moa is to play at longer distances and still use it for hunting at more reasonable yardages. I probably would not shoot a deer farther than 300 yards just since I may not be able to judge him well enough any further.

Attachments

• 600 yd target.jpg
    600 yd target.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good shooting! I would guess that group to be 4", based on you saying a 2 inch black spot. Best I ever did was around 3/4" at 100 yards, several years ago. I've done that with several different rifles, my Browning BAR .243, a Remington 660 in .243, and my HR Buff Classic with BP .45-70 loads. Never shot a dedicated target rifle.
I understand your reasoning for wanting such a rifle now. Something to play with in the off season, and something you know will put a bullet where you want it during season.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"I am interested in buying a rifle that consistently shoots in the 1/2 moa range and doesn't weigh too much to carry hunting."

Sounds kind of like wanting a motorcycle that handles great in the dirt and on the street.

I have a Savage Heavy Barrel Rifle that can out shoot me and probably 90% of the shooters on this forum. $1000.00 Plus whatever scope you want. Would not want to carry it very far into the woods or the mountains in AZ, CO ,or NM.

The scope and the mount system are just as critical as the rifle for a low MOA. I would do a lot of research in that area as well before spending $2000.00

Last edited:

Osage48

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ended up buying a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM. It weighs 5#, 2 oz and shot a 3/4" group first time out. I need to spend more time trying some other loads, but I am very happy with it so far. Found the rifle used in new condition on GB for substantially under new cost.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up buying a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM. It weighs 5#, 2 oz and shot a 3/4" group first time out. I need to spend more time trying some other loads, but I am very happy with it so far. Found the rifle used in new condition on GB for substantially under new cost.
Looks like a great lightweight hunting rifle. Outdoorlife article said really accurate with heavier bullets and not great to down right ugly with lighter bullets in 6.5 Creed. Sounds like you got a good one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom