Need help identifying 308 build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are the better pics of the second action. This is the Fabrique Nationale
The pic on the right shows the thumb cut in the receiver of the second rifle. Most certainly a military receiver (the thumb cut was there to assist with loading the rifle from the top). The first rifle does not have this cut, which suggests that it was either a commercial action, or that a gunsmith filled the cut in with metal at some time. My bet is that the first rifle uses a commercial action, while the second is clearly a military model.

Last edited:

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The pic on the right shows the thumb cut in the receiver of the second rifle. Most certainly a military receiver (the thumb cut was there to assist with loading the rifle from the top). The first rifle does not have this cut, which suggests that it was either a commercial action, or that a gunsmith filled the cut in with metal at some time. My bet is that the first rifle uses a commercial action, while the second is clearly a military model.
Not all models had the thumb cut. I've built quite a few over the years and never used one of the thumb cuts.
Most professional smiths marked theirs. A suggested possibility: Class Project Guns from Murray state college or Trinidad state junior college. At Trinidad, students built at least one each year. 2 year school=2 guns. I built about 6 the three years I was there.

DrPreacher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i picked these up from a son liquidating his fathers guns. I had no idea what I was getting. I had buyers regret until I shot them. they Are two of the most accurate guns I’ve ever pulled a trigger on. Crazy. The only issue was the magazine release—it opened the mag about every other shot. Not sure if our finger was hitting it or something else. You guys were all a great help in this journey.

Last edited:

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not all models had the thumb cut. I've built quite a few over the years and never used one of the thumb cuts.
Most professional smiths marked theirs. A suggested possibility: Class Project Guns from Murray state college or Trinidad state junior college. At Trinidad, students built at least one each year. 2 year school=2 guns. I built about 6 the three years I was there.
mr ed, I'll concede the point. I've never seen a military action without a thumb cut, but that doesn't mean that they didn't make them. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom