Need Help Identifying!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

younggundavid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mentor who passed away in January of 2019 had gotten into specialty shotgun shell reloading the last couple years before his passing. Here is a 20ga shotgun shell he has reloaded. The only markings on the can these are stored in are "14.5 20 ga". Im assuming this is the powder charge but haven't fully broken down a hull to verify. The "item" thats loaded into the hull is showing 2 oz on my scale. For its size the weight doesn't measure up, so I'm believing it has a hollow cavity and most likely access to this cavity is thru the "plastic cap" at the bottom of the projectile. Some help Identifying would be greatly appreciated. I'm guessing maybe some sort of Incendiary type capsule. It is magnetic...
20 ga 1.jpg
20 ga 2.jpg

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2 oz from a 20 gauge would generate huge pressures at normal powder loads in a 20 ga.
That powder load would need to be very light.

A common slug in a 12 ga is one ounce as an example. As bullet weight goes up, the powder charge typically goes down in most cases.

younggundavid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 oz from a 20 gauge would generate huge pressures at normal powder loads in a 20 ga.
That powder load would need to be very light.

A common slug in a 12 ga is one ounce as an example. As bullet weight goes up, the powder charge typically goes down in most cases.
Before I shoot one.. I'll tear one all the way down and check what powder charge he's using. I trust he knew what he was doing.. Just wish he was here to explain it. Plus.. it was only speculation that the 14.5 printed on the label was "grns of powder used". I don't know that for sure.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 20 ga slug usually weighs 3/4oz. Just to get that moving they use pretty close to a max safe powder charge. Trying to launch something 2oz looks dang dangerous to me.

I wouldn't worry so much about trying to ID it as I would about how fast I was going to get rid of it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom